Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumble Bee.

Options
  • 03-03-2011 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Today I sat and watched three large bees working in a patch of winter flowering heather.. Busy as always.. Wondering where they come from so early in the year.

I put some honey out for them, but the heather seemed fine to them. Two of them came and perched on my sleeve; I had been working with lavender oil. They seem a wee bit dopey. Friendly wee fellows..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Seems like you were watching queen Bumble Bees. Many different species, the queens hibernate and some species are already working hard creating a nest for this year. They like crocuses and they are doing a good job on the apricot tree which is in full flower. Also sallows are flowering and they're another good source of food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Queens active here for the past week too.

This may be a good time to refer back to this older thread on building a Bumble Bee Nest

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055916889

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

There are a few "bees" bumbling around here for the last week or ten days. One in particular seemed rather affectionate towards my high viz jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

We had a massive bee fly in today ........
    Almost solid black , like a really heavy bumble bee .

What is it ?

I'd suggest a Red-tailled Bumble Bee. Google it and check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mothman wrote: »
    Seems like you were watching queen Bumble Bees. Many different species, the queens hibernate and some species are already working hard creating a nest for this year. They like crocuses and they are doing a good job on the apricot tree which is in full flower. Also sallows are flowering and they're another good source of food.

So there are ??nests?? nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,665 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Saw my first bumble bee of the year yesterday:)

Graces7 wrote: »
    So there are ??nests?? nearby?
    Indeed. Each Bumble Bee you see now will probably be attempting to nest, but it could be 500m or more away. There isn't much food around for them at moment and they'll travel for a nice bit of heather :)
    They don't make big nests, anything from 40 to 100 individuals is typical at its peak during summer. Nesting sites are often mouse holes, holes in trees or in vegetation on the ground, hence the useful link that Srameen posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mothman wrote: »
    Indeed. Each Bumble Bee you see now will probably be attempting to nest, but it could be 500m or more away. There isn't much food around for them at moment and they'll travel for a nice bit of heather :)
    They don't make big nests, anything from 40 to 100 individuals is typical at its peak during summer. Nesting sites are often mouse holes, holes in trees or in vegetation on the ground, hence the useful link that Srameen posted.

Fascinating; thank you. There are plenty of old tree trunks around etc. Just am being very careful as we have dogs who will chase bees and I do not want the dogs hurt. I did try to follow but they got away ;)

It was that there were three of them.... Separate colonies?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just am being very careful as we have dogs who will chase bees and I do not want the dogs hurt. I did try to follow but they got away ;)
    Bumble Bees in particular are extremely lazy stingers.
    Of course being in a dogs mouth probably would be enough provocation, but if your dogs are like the ones I've experienced, they like the chase...but they don't know what to do once they catch the thing. :) And frankly if the dog is stung, then they are clever enough to know what not to catch in future.
    It was that there were three of them.... Separate colonies?
    While it has been documented that colonies and hence workers have overwintered, this is unusual and considering the cold in December very unlikely, so therefore you probably saw 3 Queens and yes, each will intend to form a colony. It'll be April or even May before the Queens are joined in foraging by the workers which are smaller than the Queens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Some more bees in my front garden this morning hanging around some heathers. Smaller than the red tailed I saw last week, smaller and stripy... that's as good a description I can give :p It's great to see and hear them.
    There's a little spot I know on Inis Mór that gives true meaning to W.B. Yeats' "bee loud glade"..... I can't even describe how loud it is! The place is just alive with bees!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

IMG_3978_1885.jpg
    Wondering are these some type of tick on the bees side or are they a natural part of the body.:confused:

They are Bumble Bee mites. Too many and the Bee can be weakened to the point of not being able to fly.

Have a look her: It works:-

http://www.uksafari.com/bumblebees3.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Thanks for that link srameen.Must try that the next time I see one with mite. That one was weel able to fly.
    5524142785_91d1a7eb8c.jpg
    Bumble bee by fionbharra, on Flickr

This one wasn't too happy about being stuck in my kitchen today (excuse the manky window :o). There was then a near miss with the dogs mouth when I let her out.

7164EB469F5B4904BF9133788B797EB0-0000331913-0002217728-00500L-2D4A14ABE7B9408FA4044C0041E02A3E.jpg

Bombus Terrestris Queen I think.

Red tailed bumble bee

6B77D429D9144AE4864CC8214F9FC1BC-0000331913-0002410146-00500L-130649CA55BF4FB9860661F382BAF1B3.jpg

And I think this is the Aran bee.... open to correction.

33267EC582D94861BC8BE1AFC5A3181E-0000331913-0002410145-00500L-CFCE65896B2947AF8BE1FDC1E47467F9.jpg

Advertisement