Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American bomber crews reaction to seeing first Jet fighter in 1944

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sounds fake TBH. Well maybe real transcripts but read by actors.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I dunno wibbs, the Audio of the Baleout seems Faked, but the sound of FW109's B17's and that ME262 Sound real, the JEt footage is probably genuine and a lot of Shoite has been tagged on to pad the video out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Spore

Most likely all the footage was spliced together including the audio from archieve material, but I've no doubt that it's real though. I'd say that's from a Beeb production, possilbly "The Complete History of WW2". Still, think it's cool.

"What the hell was that?!"
    That my friend is the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

German military technology during WWII was way ahead of the game, as well as the jet fighter they invented the cruise missile (V1 doodlebug), intercontinental ballistic missile (V2) and the assault rifle (Sturmgewehr 44, the basis for the AK-47)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Dont forget their radio guided bombs.....and they were working on tv guided anti ship missiles by the end of the war too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

k99_64 wrote: »
    Dont forget their radio guided bombs.....and they were working on tv guided anti ship missiles by the end of the war too.

They also had working Infrared night vision technology attached to about 50 Panzer tanks and IR scopes attached to even some assault rifles! In 1945!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    German military technology during WWII was way ahead of the game, as well as the jet fighter they invented the cruise missile (V1 doodlebug), intercontinental ballistic missile (V2) and the assault rifle (Sturmgewehr 44, the basis for the AK-47)

Absolutely, I'd also add to the list the Panzerfaust which used an advanced shaped charge warhead wiping out any Armour it faced. Even down to the design of their advanced combat Helmut, does the American/NATO style Helmut remind you of it? The 'Blitzkrieg' and their superior military tactics left their rivals behind. General Norman Schwarzkopf famously used their tactics during the first Gulf War.

The Germans carried out their first test flight of the Horten Ho 2-29 Bomber stealth bomber decades ahead of the Americans. The later development of American B2 Steath bomber was inspired by the Horton. Of course how could we forget the NASA space programme, born from German scientists and led by Wernher von Braun.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

That was all down to the work of Fritz Haber and Carl Bosch. Bosch masterminded the mega factory in Leuna which produced nitrogen,origanally to be used as fertiliser. The factory was eventually seized by the Nazis and used to feul their craft and to create more advanced weapons,such as the jet fighter. The only draw back at the time was the amount of feul the jet used,it could only stay air bourne for froughly 40 minutes. Still, it did the job. It took the allies 22 air raids on Leuna, and 18,000 tonnes of explosives to bring Leuna down to 15p.c of its original output. This was the start of the end for Hitler. Poor oul Bosch was a German Jew who became a broken man to see his factory be used for such deeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

There were a few German jets that rarely get heard off - the Me 263 Komet and the Ar 234 rarely get a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

discus wrote: »
    There were a few German jets that rarely get heard off - the Me 263 Komet and the Ar 234 rarely get a mention.
    Wasn't the Komet basically a rocket?

The Ar 234 was years ahead of its time, stopped only by the concerted attempt of the Allies' to bomb Axis fuel depots.

After WWII, the designers of the ME262 admitted that the filched most of their work from British Jet engine designer, Frank Wittle.

Unbelievably, the swept-wing design of the ME262 was only introduced to make the aircraft look-better, but it unintentionally improved performance under high-speeds and has been a component of modern fighter aircraft design ever-since.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Also the nazis were the first people to use dinosaurs in combat. Apparently the allies shat themselves when they saw Nazis riding over the hill on a T Rex.

NaziDinosaur.jpg

ecf88e039beeb820ef9839a567aaab9b.jpg

nazi-dinosaurs-demotivational-poster-1214633192.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

People so think that the AK is a Russian design, but its not.

People also think the Mig15 was Russian, but guess who they stole it from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Ta_183

Bit like the space race, it was mainly between Germans in Russia v Germans in USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

Absolutely, I'd also add to the list the Panzerfaust which used an advanced shaped charge warhead wiping out any Armour it faced. Even down to the design of their advanced combat Helmut, does the American/NATO style Helmut remind you of it? The 'Blitzkrieg' and their superior military tactics left their rivals behind. General Norman Schwarzkopf famously used their tactics during the first Gulf War.

The Germans carried out their first test flight of the Horten Ho 2-29 Bomber stealth bomber decades ahead of the Americans. The later development of American B2 Steath bomber was inspired by the Horton. Of course how could we forget the NASA space programme, born from German scientists and led by Wernher von Braun.

That German stealth plane could have been what Kenneth Arnold seen in 1947:

ArnoldUFO.jpg
    article-1198112-05A00E88000005DC-913_634x424.jpg

Advertisement