Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a car using credit card?

Options
  • 03-03-2011 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I plan on heading to Dublin pretty soon to buy a car, I've got my eye on a few and my plan is to try a few out and hopefully buy one.

Rather than drive up with 10K in cash I was wondering would there be any problems with me putting a 10K credit balance on my visa and using that to buy the car? Is there a transaction limit that would stop me from doing this?

I'm not sure but I think a bank draft must be made out to a person or company, is that right? I'm not certain who I'll be buying the car from so I don't think I can use one.

Can anyone advise? Are there any other options? I don't have a cheque book

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Check first if they will accept credit card as payment

Can you transfer funds to his account ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I tried to buy my last car on credit card, but the garage preferred a different payment method, due to the fact that the CC company charges them a percentage of it, often around 2.5%, so they'd lose €250 on an €10k car. They never mentioned a transaction limit (and could just take a couple of payments if there was), but the charge is coming directly out of their margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

When I bought my last car, they accepted my credit card for the deposit, and then a personal cheque with the balance a couple of days later. Often the car won't be ready for immediate pick up anyway, so getting a bank draft while they're preparing it shouldn't be too much trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭3DataModem

It is important thst you realise that 1.3% of the credit card payment goes straight into the coffers of your bank. The fee the garage is charged is probably 2-2.5% ... the reason they don't take them is the risk of fraud. A chargeback would kill a business like that.

Advertisement