Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel so bad.....

Options
  • 03-03-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine took 3 of my dogs up the fields for me cos I managed to bust up my knee and can't walk them. I just got a text from my friend to say they caught and killed a hare!!! :( I guess I'm too city, no matter that I now live in the country but I can't get used to my dogs killing other animals. I know it's instinct and in their nature but I don't think my poor vegetarian brain will get used to it. It never happens when I bring them up, I simply don't let them and they know it.

Ahh just having a bit of a guilty rant!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

ohh nooo! instinct is so hard sometimes.

I am in the country too all my life and I will never get used to the dogs chasing anything!
    is it unusual for them to catch a hare though, hares are fast, maybe he was sick and they did him a favour? (well hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

You should be so proud of them! I always encourage my boy when he chases something its what hes programmed to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Aww poor Hare but that's dogs for you. Sounds like they enjoyed their walk. My collie would run after rabbits but never harm them until about 2 yrs ago and once she killed one she goes nuts for them. Have had pet rabbits and guinea pigs for years and never trusted her around them so obviously kept them safe but I guess the wild rabbits were too much temptation for her.
    One the plus side she did go after a huge rat last year and killed it not that I like her doing it but beats killing rabbits.

We do have a pair of right fat big rabbits again in our garden this year am thinking they have smartened up a bit so hopefully she won't go after them, if I'm with her in the garden I can call her back but if I'm not that's when she gets them. But feel so bad coz I love rabbits and love to watch them in the garden.

I think part of the problem was squeeky toys, the sound seems to mimic a rabbit when their killed and she gets a bit of a thrill out of it.

Agree with ppink hares are super fast so perhaps this one was old are not well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I like the old and sick hare part, lets go with that!!! It'll make me feel a little better :) The problem is my dogs work really well as a pack, I've seen them branch off before and chase after hares with a strategy but I roar and they come back glaring at me!

If they were hungry and didn't have a daily meal at home I wouldn't mind so much, it'd be the food chain in action!

Advertisement