Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question About a written warning that was given

Options
  • 03-03-2011 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Hello I work in An Post and I am in the job 5 years,

I missed a day to work in November and I was given a awol for it.

I was asked to reply to writing to why I missed the day and to which I did.

And I offered to work the day back in January and I missed that day as well.

I was asked in writing to explain why I missed that day I replied with several letters which I have copies of.

After the 3 letters I was then I was brought in and given a written warning and asked to sign for it now I was not asked do I want a witness brought in with me union or otherwise for the written warning which I read that you must be offered that.

Now I have never received a verbal or oral warning in an post in 5 years.

And I thought I was entitled to a oral warning that at least ?

I see here it says Im entitled to a oral warning http://www.lrc.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=88

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/si/0146.html

Now I was told that the written warning will last 2 years.

And the union said I can appeal it ever six months. I have appealed it and got letter back after 3 weeks saying appeal rejected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

how many sick days have you had?

was the warning so called "written warning" or was it a verbal warning which would be given to an employee in written form as well as verbally stated?

sounds to me like they wre giving you an improvement letter which would refer to your poor attendance and a need for it to improve over a period of time otherwise you would recieve further sanctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

At a very quick glance, it looks like those links just say that disciplinary procedures may include an oral warning.

They also say the following:
    Generally, the steps in the procedure will be progressive, for example, an oral warning, a written warning, a final written warning, and dismissal. However, there may be instances where more serious action, including dismissal, is warranted at an earlier stage

Do the An Post procedures contradict this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056183971

You asked the same questions last month.

Is there an update since that thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Any good disciplinary process will allow a manager jump to any stage of the process including termination depending on the severity of the case at hand..

For two AWOL days a written warning would be fine, probably a 12 month period where any further breaches will mean final written at least...

Time to knuckle down and play by the rules..

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

In job 5 years no sick really.

Had 1 or 2 over the years but they were covered by a cert.

Have good record with an Post.

6 months ago I missed a shift on a saturday and failed to ring in cause I was afraid to call in sick.

Got a awol for that but did not get into trouble.

then november I did the same again but looked at my roster wrong.

Was asked in writing to give reason for this I explained and said I would work it back in january.

And I failed to come in again and was asked to explain myself and was called in and giving written warning and it says it will be on my record for 2 years from january.
    how many sick days have you had?

was the warning so called "written warning" or was it a verbal warning which would be given to an employee in written form as well as verbally stated?

sounds to me like they wre giving you an improvement letter which would refer to your poor attendance and a need for it to improve over a period of time otherwise you would recieve further sanctions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Accept that you was in the wrong and stop going awol.

My advice was the same in the other thread.

Take the warning, keep your head down and work past this and after a specified time the warning will be taken off your record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

My advice was the same in the other thread.

Take the warning, keep your head down and work past this and after a specified time the warning will be taken off your record

The warning will expire but will never be taken from an employee's record

You're right, I suppose expire was what I meant but didn't type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Where I work, some workmates who had committed sackable offences were given final written warnings rather than dismissal with no prior warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

6 months ago I missed a shift on a saturday and failed to ring in cause I was afraid to call in sick

Why on earth were you afraid to call in sick? :confused:

I'm a manager and someone not having the courtesy to ring in sick is no laughing matter. I've had people ring in sick when deadlines were looming but at least because they let me know early in the day, it gave me time to do something about it. You might not think it, but there are times when someone going sick/unexpectedly taking leave can complicate things and it's a manager's job to move the chess pieces around the board, so to speak and ensure things run as well as possible. Just giving you an insight into how things are on my side of the fence.

So really, I'm just telling you the same thing the others are - accept your punishment, keep your head down and make sure it doesn't happen again. The problem from your perspective is that you've dirtied your bib. Your previous sick record doesn't really matter - it's the fact that you've twice failed to show up for work.

It does state in the code of practice that by law after the disciplinary period it will be removed for your record.

Well weeks on Ive taken to working in a new section and am keeping my head down.

2 years till its removed aw so long away but.
    bbam wrote: »
    The warning will expire but will never be taken from an employee's record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mondaysonly

Guys,
    Can anyone tell me if you must sign a written warning?????

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭micdug

Guys,
    Can anyone tell me if you must sign a written warning?????
    You don't have to sign anything, but if you don't you are saying you don't accept the diciplinary process and it will probably lead to the next step in the process. If you don't accept the written warning I'd appeal it rather than simply refuse to sign the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It depends on what the company's procedure says - to the best of my knowledge, there are no hard and fast rules about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Signing it only acknowledges that you have got notification of the "issue" from the company and the actions the company has decided to take. It does not mean you accept it or give up your right to challenge it.

Not signing it only means that you will be called in to HR with two managers (or other suitables witnesses) have it read in front of you, HR adding that you have refused to sign it but has been given the information verbally and confirmed by the witnesses and then added to your file.

I had no witness but I honestly can;t remember did he ask me did I want one.

It all happened so fast.

Got called in and asked to sign it I said is there anyway I can work back the days I was told no.
    Nody wrote: »
    Signing it only acknowledges that you have got notification of the "issue" from the company and the actions the company has decided to take. It does not mean you accept it or give up your right to challenge it.

Not signing it only means that you will be called in to HR with two managers (or other suitables witnesses) have it read in front of you, HR adding that you have refused to sign it but has been given the information verbally and confirmed by the witnesses and then added to your file.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Talk to your CWU rep, they're usually useless but at least you will have some backup

Useless is not the word they would not even ask questions into what happened the job as to try get it taken away.

They wrote me a letter to appeal the written warning got a reply 4 weeks after I sent the letter saying appeal rejected.

Turns out I can appeal the warning even 6 months.

So at least I can appeal it Ive been keeping my head down and am going to do a fetac course and move up the ladder.
    MajorMax wrote: »
    Talk to your CWU rep, they're usually useless but at least you will have some backup

Advertisement