Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic thread

Options
  • 03-03-2011 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

i think we need a thread for off topic stuff, things which dont deserve a thread of its own.

Ill get the ball rolling with... the iPad 2 or whatever it'll be called. not an iOS fan at all, mainly because of itunes stuff, but the iPad 2 is very well priced compared to androids offerings on the dual core front. motorolla, im looking at you. i know they can do a better price for us.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

It looks like the Xoom will match the iPad 2 pricing in the UK anyway.
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/motorola-xoom-wi-fi-tablet-will-match-ipad-2-uk-price-at-500-50003022/

That's a device that will have a HDMI output included (with a software update), has a bigger screen (a tiny bit bigger), higher resolution, and a USB port and Android and doesn't need iTunes.
    If they're the same price I'd go for Xoom or maybe the new Samsung 10".

Too much choice. So little money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭silentbutnice

It looks like the Xoom will match the iPad 2 pricing in the UK anyway.
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/motorola-xoom-wi-fi-tablet-will-match-ipad-2-uk-price-at-500-50003022/

That's a device that will have a HDMI output included (with a software update), has a bigger screen (a tiny bit bigger), higher resolution, and a USB port and Android and doesn't need iTunes.
    If they're the same price I'd go for Xoom or maybe the new Samsung 10".

Too much choice. So little money.

Im thinking of getting the xoom, as the ipad2 doesn't have a usb port. However, my external hard drive is one of those WD passport ones(nice and small), but the cable is the normal size usb. Will the port on the xoom be a full size usb port of will it be one of those micro usb ones?

If its a micro size then how does one go about using their existing hard drive with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If its a micro size then how does one go about using their existing hard drive with it?

You just need a cable with a USB to mirco USB then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

RedXIV wrote: »
    You just need a cable with a USB to mirco USB then?

I dunno
    Maybe something like this
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/New-Micro-Male-Mini-Female-USB-Adapter-Converter-/330536527778?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4cf58327a2#ht_2119wt_905
    (I like the price. If you painted it white and stuck Apple on it you could charge €15 :p).

When the Xoom is available that's a question to post again on Boards.

Honestly, if your Harddrive has a USB slot and the Xoom only has micro-usb then all you need is one of the many usb to micro-usb cables floating around.

I got one free with my phone

micro%20USB%20cable.jpg

• Advertisement

i understand.

But my hard drives have the mini usb cable going into the hard drive and the normal size usb on the other end. So I'd need a converter from the normal size usb to the micro-usb(if thats possible)??

ohhhhhh now i get you, sorry :o thought you meant the normal USB in the harddrive :)

You can still get micro USB to micro USB cables too? just so you know :)

guys, I'm trying to find a cable with mini usb on one end and micro usb on the other....but I can't find on :(

Any idea if its even possible to get them?

My card reader and hard drive have mini usb ports on them, but if I was to use them with the xoom...its need a micro usb cable on the other end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Sander21

I think you have to root it to use a hard drive on it. I'm not even sure a USB hard drive would work as it has to power it too.

here's a link on how to do it

http://androidcommunity.com/motorola-xoom-gets-usb-host-feature-use-usb-drives-and-keyboards-hack-20110310/

Think I saw that on twitter the other day somewhere haha.

Advertisement