Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rat runs up mans leg!!!!

Options
  • 03-03-2011 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

can anyone remember this happening in dublin some years ago. the man died later from weills disease. i just want to know which course it was on to put an argument to rest
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

I heard it was on kileen golf club in kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭deko43

Its was Cradockstown. Happened about 8 or 9 years ago. The poor chap was retrieving a ball from a ditch when a rat ran up his trouser leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 billybobby

i thought myself it was in bohernabreena in tallaght and my dad said it was on ballybane p&p in clondalkin and now 2 more places i assume it only happened once. or maybee were all right ;) come on somebody had to be there or know some one who was please help lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

no i'm pretty sure it was citywest

if you were ever attacked on a golf course by a rat, or similar rodent, please contact Licksy asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

It was Craddockstown GC I believe, back in 2008.

The rat ran up his leg when he was searching for a lost ball. He must have rubbed his leg and then he apparently passed the disease into his mouth when he smoked a cigar afterwards.

Absolutely tragic. Just shows how careful people should be. I'm amazed this doesn't happen more often, especially when you see people licking their fingers and then wiping their ball...

important to have some hand disinfectant in your golf bag at all times
    some new golf bags come with dispensers inbuilt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

I remember someone telling me it was the course just off the belgard road.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

I'm sure I heard this story well over 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

It was Craddockstown, but much further back than I thought...

"GOLFER DAVID BAILEY, 40, of Clondalkin, County Dublin, was killed by a rat which ran up his trouser leg as he hunted for a lost ball at Caddockstown golf course in County Kildare. He startled the animal when he jumped into a ditch at the first hole. It shot up his leg and urinated on him.

His playing partners advised him to take a shower immediately, but he laughed off the encounter, saying he had no cuts or bites. He took a shower four hours later after finishing the round. However, before this he had touched his leg and smoked a cigar. Doctors believe that the deadly Weil's disease carried by the rat was passed from his fingers to his mouth. He was admitted to a Dublin hospital with severe jaundice two weeks later, but he died in intensive care when his kidneys collapsed.

Daily Mirror, 30 Aug 1996."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

That would really piss me off....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭G1032

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    That would really piss me off....

As in you'd be p!ssed off that you were dead!!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

G1032 wrote: »
    As in you'd be p!ssed off that you were dead!!!???

Yes...Ba Dum....Tish

i realise the deceased chap prob smoked the cigar to calm his nerves but on reflection it was not one of his brighter life choices, irrespective of the outcome waiting before him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

A bunch of comedians on here I see :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

I think man died after getting this from a stream in Elm Park Golf Club many years before that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

If the rat had scratched his leg he could get weil's disease. I heard of a man that had a rat run up his leg many years ago at a threshing, the rat scratched his leg as he caught it to stop it going any further. He used an old cure to prevent weil's disease, rub cobwebs to the scratch. Not much good if you are on a golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

Can anyone tell us if he got the putt or not

Advertisement