Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup 2015

Options
  • 03-03-2011 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭

Should the ICC change the format of 2015 to include a couple of associate members into the 2015.

With Ireland beating England yesterday but have a good case to change the format.

I think 2 teams would be about right.

It is a step back for cricket not allowing some teams in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Yes they should.

Its basically done to death, but this is a money decision.
    They don't want to risk one of the cash cows going out.

If I'm being cynical, I could say yesterday was a bad result for us cos England are one of those cash cows and its going to annoy those bean counting ****-heels no end if they go out.

I reckon we need the Nederlands to do something too.
    And we need to take the Windies.
    And we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Even accepting the argument that fewer associates are better, I really don't see why 2 associates wouldn't be an option for the ICC. You won't have loads of mismatches, and crucially, it gives the rest of the world something to play for. There must be some avenueof qualifying for the associates or a mockery is made of the whole tournament. Who gives a **** about the Champions Trophy? Because that's what the World Cup would become.

The decision to threaten the participation of associates is the worst I've seen made by any international sporting organisation in a long time. And that includes FIFA giving the World Cup to Qatar.

I'm not sure where it goes from here. There is enormous pressure on the ICC now, but they seem to be resisting it. They still have to make a decision on whether there's a qualifying tournament or not. The ICC will still want us out, but surely they will be forced to make some sort of change. Technically, they could have some kind of play off between the best associate and the worst of the full members. But I can't see Zimbabwe or Bangladesh agreeing to that. None of the weaker established teams would want to endanger their participation at the World Cup by playing us. I suppose if they really wanted to screw us over, they could have some kind of 'open draw' and make us play South Africa in Johannesburg or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

we will just have to wait and see I guess

Given we have full ODI status which allows up be officially ranked via the Reliance rankings I cannot see how the ICC can exclude us. Eventually I see them backtracking and changing to 12 teams. Thats my feeling anyway despite the stubborn nature of the ICC.

A legal challenge to CAS or the likes could well be forthcoming if we donet get a reasonable shot at being part of the 2015 world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

It is unbelievably short-sighted. The ICC should be seeking to expand the worldwide appeal of cricket, not to perpetuate an old boys club.

I seem to remember that after the 2007 World Cup Cricket Ireland got paid buttons compared to Zimbabwe, despite Ireland's better performance, because the whole financial rewards system was based on a team's official status, not on performance in the tournament.

Those trying to promote Cricket in non-Test countries must feel like the ICC is determined to pull the rug from under their feet.

I only heard this today, and I don't know if anyone more informed can expand on this, but a mooted plan is to apparently base it on the rankings system. That would certainly give us a chance. We're currently 10th, and if we get a fair crack of the whip (though this in itself is dubious) fixture-wise, we would have every chance of staying ahead of Zimbabwe. Would still be a crap system, but it would at least give us something to play for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I only heard this today, and I don't know if anyone more informed can expand on this, but a mooted plan is to apparently base it on the rankings system. That would certainly give us a chance. We're currently 10th, and if we get a fair crack of the whip (though this in itself is dubious) fixture-wise, we would have every chance of staying ahead of Zimbabwe. Would still be a crap system, but it would at least give us something to play for.

I wouldn't count on it. It would be typical if they limited it to the 10 full members and excluded the associate members. These back-scratchers make FIFA look like a democracy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,540 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Yes. Without a doubt. The biggest issue with the WC is the length and amount of meaningless fixtures. This is nothing to do with the Associate teams, but instead the bloated format (2007, a silly super 8 stage dragged it out, this time a massive group stage). If for example this time if they only had the top 2 teams qualifying from each group for the semi finals then all the group games would have something going for them

The other issue from an ICC point of view is the risk of a big team getting knocked out early on as happened in 2007. The 2007 groups were too small.

I'd suggest a happy medium of both. Make the WC 12 teams, the 10 full members plus 2 associates. 2 groups of 6 so 5 games for each team. The top 2 of each group going to the semi finals. To make it extra interesting have it so that the bottom 2 teams in each group must qualify for the next competition.

Also to make up for the Associates only having 2 teams in the main event, I think the next top 4 Associate teams should be invited to play a 4 team round robin tournment in the host country that would run alongside the World Cup, at the very least let them sample the atmosphere and playing in the big stadia

I don't see them backtracking on 10 teams to be honest. It would be a huge u-turn. On the other hand I can't see them completely excluding us/Afghanistan/Netherlands either. It would be too ludicrous for words after yesterday. They will have to offer some sort of sop to the associates now I think. As I say, probably some sort of process that makes it look inclusive but makes sure that no big hitter misses the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Perhaps they should have a plate tournament in parallel - 8 teams in both tournaments with a promotion demotion of 1-2 teams.. That way the associates won't get left out and its upto the test nations to ensure they don't get relegated to the plate level..

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

It seems they will do a 10 team World Cup but give associates a chance to qualify,

"Somewhere we have to make the cut-off. Who knows what that would be yet - eight or nine or seven. The cut-off means that teams ranked higher than the cut-off directly get into the World Cup. Whoever is left out, goes into a qualifier."

Using the current ODI rankings to give a hypothetical example, should the cut-off for the next World Cup be fixed at seven, it would mean that Bangladesh and West Indies would not be guaranteed an automatic place in the next World Cup, but must play a qualifier with Ireland, Zimbabwe, Netherlands, Canada and Kenya to determine which three complete the ten-team field. Lorgat said, "That's where the Associates get the opportunity. They (the Associates) have obviously been disappointed (by the 10 team World Cup) because the more teams you make, the more teams can play (in a World Cup), but that's not top competition."

this is the full Cricinfo link http://tinyurl.com/6ahw298 ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement