Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disk V Rim brakes.

Options
  • 03-03-2011 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Well as I initially planned when I got my new bike I'd upgrade the stock components to something better, I couldn't afford to get a expensive bike in the first place but I knew I'd be able to add to it.

I'm having major issues with the disk breaks and after looking at them and tutorials on youtube they're like none of the proper makes and seem to be crap.
    I've only had the bike 2 months and the breaks can barely stop it now, Halfords are the only place that sell pads and at 30 euro a set (front and back) I'd rather not be paying that every 2 months.

So, I've got a budget of 135(max) and am open to suggestions as to get either Rim breaks or disk breaks, I know it's not a huge amout but somone should be able to help,

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

What type of brakes have you got atm? What type of Bike is it?

I have a TREK 3700 hardtail MTB with rim brakes and i think they are fine once maintained. Disk brakes are good in wet conditions i have read, but i'm happy with what i have got for now.

if your thinking of upgrading from rim to disk. It ain't that straight forward. things to consider: Forks may in upgrading, new hubs, re-spoked wheels, brake kit and cable procurement.

there are guides to what some people have done:http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=509728
    AND
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=506053
    AND
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/disco-tech-is-disc-mount-2002-onwards-ec012048?currency=EUR&country=IRELAND#features

Could turn out costly enough! Was thinking about it myself but i will pass for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I picked up some juicy 7's used for €80.

Its worth checking out
    http://www.irishdh.com

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unless the brakes are proper bargain-basement all plastic affairs then there's no reason why they can't be made to work.

But you probably have cable discs instead of hydraulic discs, which is why they don't look like anything in the tutorials. You probably won't be able to stick rim brakes on - your frame and wheels won't be designed for them.

What bike do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Its an appollo phase bike( proper bargain basement so I'd assume the breaks are crap too) from halfords, they're Clarks breaks but not even listed on the site. The site doesn't event have pads for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭g0g

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Its an appollo phase bike( proper bargain basement so I'd assume the breaks are crap too) from halfords, they're Clarks breaks but not even listed on the site. The site doesn't event have pads for them...
    I have a Halford's bike too (boardman hybrid). My disc brakes gave me all sorts of problems late last year then I figured I just wasn't twisting the right yokey! I was convinced the pads were contaminated or something else wrong, but they work fine now and never needed to be replaced. Just get someone who knows what they're doing to look at them and show you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

BIG difference between Boardman and Apollo bikes.

So, an Apollo Phaze:
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_762369_langId_-1_categoryId_212589#dtab
    with some form of Clarkes mech discs
    http://www.clarkscycles.com/index.php/html/subcategory/pagetype/oem/id/disc-brakes-mechanical-brakes

You won't be able to fit rim brakes on the back, maybe you could get the mounts for the fork on the front.

I'd say stick with disks:
    Try to get the brakes setup right first
    If they are still not powerful enough, you could get bigger mechanical disks, or go for hydraulics.
    To be honest, if the mechanicals are driving you mad a bad set of hydraulics would send you over the edge - certain hydraulics can be a little high maintenance, some are practically bulletproof reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't spend €135 upgrading the brakes on the bike. Stick the money in a fund and then upgrade the whole bike when you have €800 or so in the kitty.

seamus wrote: »
    I wouldn't spend €135 upgrading the brakes on the bike. Stick the money in a fund and then upgrade the whole bike when you have €800 or so in the kitty.
    True enough, best to get the current bike working properly as cheap as poss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

I had something similar, bought a hybrid with crap disks and ended up replacing them with these after a couple months. If you're set on upgrading the bike they're supposedly the best cable disk brakes you can get. I'm certainly very happy with them (been going for over 2 years now), great stopping power even in the worst conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Right, Basically I need this bike for the rest of College and possibly longer, As the moment it's dangerous to cycle and makes having a bike pointless. If I need to upgrade the brakea then I'll have to. At the end of the day paying 135(max, it's just spare money I have at the moment ) means I'll have a bike that's cyclable and won't be saving 800 for ages without a bike cause mines unsafe...

Anyway I gave my bike to Michael from www.corkbicycleservices.ie and he seemed confident that he should be able to adjust them, If not I'll find a set of Avid Juicy 5's, and get them fitted and set up by him, Atleast it'll mean parts will be cheaper and easier to source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

I had similiar problems with disc brakes from the bike i got in halfords. Spent hours trying to fix them. The bike was put together pretty poorly. Ended up upgrading the rear disk brake as well as all the cables as the ones on it were complete rubbish (and far to long). Take a look at the cables first OP. See if, when you pull the brake lever, you get decent movement on the lever on the brake (sorry dont know the correct name for it). If not replace the cable before upgrading the disc brakes

Unless you are offroading (sounds like you're not) there's no need for the hydraulics. Mechanical discs (even crappy ones) set up right should be enough for day to day knocking around.

Advertisement