Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pensions advice

Options
  • 03-03-2011 4:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

hello. i am just after getting a job and they will pay into a pension for me if i decide to take it. they will equal my contribution up to 5%

i am no guru with money matters and never had a job with pension.

all i am looking for is a link or two that someone in here can send me so i can read about how they work.

i have found pensionsboard.ie but i figured someone here might have a site not so far up the google rankings

i presume they are well worth it -but all i seem to hear is bad stories about people who lost their money in pension funds. again, the gurus in here are probably laughing at that statement but that is how clueless i am on the subject.

any help at all would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭3DataModem

When people talk about losing money in pension funds, it is generally due to stock market losses.

However it is always possible to invest your pension fund in a cash fund that will not have large growth but won't lose you money. You will probably be offered a range of fund choices. Choose wisely!

If your employer is offering to match then it is a great deal. You put in 100, only costs you 80 because of tax relief, they put in 100, so you get 200 of value even though it's onl cost 80 from your net salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lackatalent

Best thing to so is to look at the main pension provider websites. They are informative and give you an educated overview of what is involved in the area

For example;

www.newireland.ie
    www.zurich.ie
    www.friendsfirst.ie
    www.irishlife.ie

Hope it helps

Regards

Lacka Talent

Advertisement