Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When a FM Player applied for the Middlesbrough job

Options
  • 03-03-2011 2:14am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Stolen from the soccer forum for those who might not have seen it! (yeah its old) :p

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/When-a-Football-Manager-player-applied-for-the-M?urn=sow-325075
    ept_sports_sow_experts-753855350-1298436716.jpg?ymtZimEDR1WDLKxQ

Back in 2006, when Steve McClaren left Middlesbrough to begin his ill-fated stint as England manager, a 25-year-old armed with vast experience in the highly addictive and cripplingly detailed Football Manager video game and a brief spell in charge of a real-life Under-11 team decided to apply for the vacant position. John Boileau was working through a list of things he wanted to do before he turned 30 (which would even earn him a write-up on the BBC) when he sent a brilliant letter to Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson declaring his interest and qualifications for the job at the then Premier League side. And he got an equally brilliant response form Gibson himself.

The supremely excellent Letters of Note reminded us of this bit of delightfulness by republishing their correspondence, which you can see right this way...

ept_sports_sow_experts-978837296-1298436960.jpg?ymgdimEDifpOfVVB

ept_sports_sow_experts-660639587-1298436985.jpg?ym5dimED9rIoo.px

ept_sports_sow_experts-86692894-1298437025.jpg?ymieimEDaXUbM.du

ept_sports_sow_experts-906206455-1298437066.jpg?ymLfimEDIQ_pITlX

ept_sports_sow_experts-78824862-1298437092.jpg?ymkfimEDwtSyvLLc

At the time, Boileau concluded that Middlesbrough and Steve Gibson "are ace" and I have to agree. From Boileau stating his "very reasonable" desired starting wage of £80,000 to Gibson concluding his letter by saying, "We consider it a sign of our progress that someone of your status could consider us," this whole exchange is evidence of the wonderful things that can happen when people have a sense of humor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Brilliant, I remember this when it happened :D

Fair play to Steve Gibson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

Classy response from Steve Gibson. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A lad I know in England who is a trolley dolly on the trains applied for the Blackburn Rovers Managers job - we all found it a bit funny. We dont know if he got a response though. Will see if I can find letter

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Before I saw that I was always curious as to the response you would get applying for a managerial job with FM/CM as your previous experience lol
    Doubt you will ever get such a great reply or any reply for that matter.

Advertisement