Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Space Heating & Hot Water

Options
  • 02-03-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I am currently going to tender with my house plans and 1 builder has suggested that I go further than just have solar panels for hot water but also use extra solar panels to contribute to space heating through underfloor heating. I will be building a 2 storey house and have employed an energy consultant to help plan the insulation and airtightness to achieve an A3 rating or better. Cavity will be pumped, taping and airtight membrane will be used etc and I plan on having a heat recovery ventilation system. I had originally planned on having a high efficiency oil boiler and rads everywhere. However the builder suggested that by having extra solar panels to preheat water for an underfloor heating system, with an oil boiler to boost temperatures when required I would have a much nicer system and a cozy even heat from the underfloor.

The reason I had planned on rads rather than underfloor was reaction times for heating and overall running costs as underfloor is on all the time. However with this system I am guessing the boiler would kick in much less. Has anyone any experience of such a system.

The questions I would like some feedback on are would the system be effective or a waste of money i.e stick to just the hot water from solarAlso would it be cheaper to run than boiler and rads because of the contribution of solar??

Regards Liam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭damomeasa

Problem with solar space heating is that you'll get the vast majority of your heat when you don't need it, ie summer months. You'll get a bit of your needs in October or April but when you really need the heat, your solar panels will be giving you practically zero.

Then factor in the cost of extra solar panels and the reduced reaction time (which seems to be important to you). I would leave the solar for the hot water and if you want a renewable for space heating, go with something like wood pellet.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

I would agree with all the above as there isn't enough solar energy available when you need it. I wouldn't be a fan of pellets though, but I do see a lot I like in wood gassifying boilers - reilig has posted a fair bit of info on his setup. Only if you have access to trees though. Just my opinion but the info on solar energy availability has been posted a few times here by Quentin Gargan who is very knowledgeable in this area

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

I hope to connect my "Solar Slab" in the next fornight or so. This is around a foot of gravel/stone above a foot of insulation but below my UFH. There is a set of pipes - very much like UFH running through the slab. It will be heated by solar from September to April. The intention being one good "sunny" days weather in this period will allow me to store enough heat for up to 2 weeks... If it doesn't work I just kick the gas fueled UFH on, this is the easy to explain version I can post a link to a builders website with fancy diagram and a more a more technical explanation if the mods allow it...

Advertisement