Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Travel

Options
  • 02-03-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

So what do you think is it possible???
    Are there people from the future walking amongst us??
    Or is it just sci-fi nonsense

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

In essence, no,no and yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

All i know is, my gut says... maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

lcrcboy wrote: »
    So what do you think is it possible???
    Are there people from the future walking amongst us??
    Or is it just sci-fi nonsense
    I'd tell you but whats the point you die next friday....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

It's possible to travel forward in time. I think theres an astronaut or cosmonaut that became the first time traveler by .00001 of a second or something like that by spending a few months orbiting earth in a space station.

I challenge anyone to give a better explanation than that

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Khyra24

I think it's possible. What if you're from the future now and you don't know it? What!...I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I mentioned it before but because the whole concept is based on travelling through one point in space, unless the earth was in that exact same position in its orbit of the sun when you came out the other side, you'd just be floating in space and die.
    Even travelling back a few seconds the earth would literally leave you behind.
    To summarise, death.

Did I mention you'd die?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Time travel is only possible via a hot tub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Zebra3 wrote: »

Or a Michal J Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

How about Langoliers? I love that movie.

Oh noes, they be eating up my past.

I don't know about time travel - how tangible is the past and future anyway? Not very in my opinion.

Now, multiverses - there's the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Looking down on us from a higher dimension, of course it's possible, but not from our limited one, where time being our 4th dimension and for general purpose it's linear and we can only move in a forward path along that dimension. Of course, a being looking down on us can see our entire 4th dimension path and can predict our future and see our past, god i hate being sober....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I travelled back in time to kill my own mother before I was conceived and when I did I ceased to exist, whereupon my mother was fine again, so I appeared again from the future to kill her again and so on, in an infinite loop.

It does work, but the ESB bill is astronomical (infinite, in fact).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Zebra3 wrote: »
    That sounds like a good premise for a silly and irreverantly comedic film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Anyone know if I'd have to travel to 1982 to pick this up or can the seller deliver to the future?

http://www.adverts.ie/furniture/sofa-for-sale/319078

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

xoxyx wrote: »
    How about Langoliers? I love that movie.

Oh noes, they be eating up my past.

I don't know about time travel - how tangible is the past and future anyway? Not very in my opinion.

Now, multiverses - there's the way to go.

Holy Guacamole!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I was the only person on the planet that saw that movie, loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Khyra24

galwayrush wrote: »
    Looking down on us from a higher dimension, of course it's possible, but not from our limited one, where time being our 4th dimension and for general purpose it's linear and we can only move in a forward path along that dimension. Of course, a being looking down on us can see our entire 4th dimension path and can predict our future and see our past, god i hate being sober....

Can those beings also see us naked?! :eek: *hands you a pint of Guinness*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I travelled back in time to kill my own mother before I was conceived and when I did I ceased to exist, whereupon my mother was fine again, so I appeared again from the future to kill her again and so on, in an infinite loop.

It does work, but the ESB bill is astronomical (infinite, in fact).
    This, but if you believe in alternate realities you kill your mam and life continues on from that point and you cease to exist at that point and are never born, op if suggest you read a few books on it, the time travel paradox is quite interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

benwavner wrote: »

Leaping lizards and big, giant sphere-shaped things with voracious appetites and sharp teeth - I LOVE that movie. In fact, having reminded myself of it, I'm watching the start of it on YouTube right now.

This has to be the one Stephen King story that I prefer as a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'll bet Mary Mitchell-O'Connor wants to travel back in time...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

This picture says it all, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

karlog wrote: »
    It's possible to travel forward in time. I think theres an astronaut or cosmonaut that became the first time traveler by .00001 of a second or something like that by spending a few months orbiting earth in a space station.

I challenge anyone to give a better explanation than that

Yeah... the faster you move relative to another object, the faster time appears to be passing for that object.

From the point of view of someone standing on the object, time is passing normally and it's you that appears to be moving forward through time faster.

This only works if you're moving at a constant rate. If you're accelerating, the rules are a little different. That's special relativity in a nutshell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It's more likely that you could travel into the future than the past. Actually astronauts are very slightly younger when they return to Earth than they would have been if they had never went into space because time moves at a different rate in space.

When faster space shuttles are built it will be possible to travel further into the future. You might spend, say, ten years in space and return to find a hundred years had passed on Earth.

Most scientests don't believe travelling back in time is possible. They could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Traveling forward is possible, it would just require an incredible amount of energy to go very far into the earths future and not die yourself.
    Back in time is a no no for us and that probably won't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

My god it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

in the way we'd like it to be? never.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I think I can travel back in time i'ii try 5 min first if it works I will let ye know;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

benwavner wrote: »

I read it years ago (Love vintage Stephen King) and saw the movie some time after..brilliant..pacmen :pac::pac::pac:chomping up the world making THAT noise.:D

I love to think time travel might be possible. Didn't Einstein say that
    speed at a certain level=time passes more slowly..(science not my strong point but I think that's the jist of it)....so mightn't it follow, taking that further, that at a certain speed time would slow down so much that it would begin to reverse....?

There was another, better film a few years ago starring Denis Quaid, with time travel, cant think of name of it offhand, but its good, if you like those kind of fillums.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Maybe we'll be able to do a Buck Rogers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

There was a company in the 70's that were making Time Machines. They had a manufacturing facility in Belfast. They went bankrupt though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeLorean_Motor_Company

There's a good series of documentaries on the subject with Michael J. Fox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

i dont believe its possible as i would hate to think the future is written
    but realistically - who knows? could be alternate dimensions too

if all time existed at any given moment - based on einsteins theory - to travel through time it would have to exist at the same time. so if thats the case, it might be possible to go back to the past too.

but lets say time travel is not about folding space but about flying THROUGH time - so the past the present and the future do not exist at the same time - then the past has happened so you can only go forward....

*ah time - what greater way to drive yourself in thought circles*

Advertisement