Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help my car insurance wont cover my new job

Options
  • 02-03-2011 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

need help, got a job for ten weeks delivering documents and my new employer wants a copy of my car insurance to confirm my cover for their files, when I rang my insurer to they said I am not covered on my policy!!! Job is only for ten weeks so dont wany to incurr big costs to move to another insurer, any Ideas welcome please dont want to loose out on job really need it:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Did you ask the insurer if they could provide the required coverage for an extended period?

I need 3rd party indemnity for my work driving, and my broker has gotten me this on all my policies for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Getting insurance cover for work-related driving is relatively easy provided that you can say that your driving (1) does not involve sales or (2) the carriage of goods or samples.

Unfortunately as you are carrying goods (documents), you do not qualify for the extension of cover for 'restricted business use' that most insurers are prepared to give for free to their established customers.

Your employer is looking for an insurance cert. in your name which indemnifies him. Unfortunately the description of what you intend to do during work (deliver documents) has a ring of 'motorcycle courier' about it so I can understand why your insurer won't extend your policy to cover this activity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why did you ring your insurer? :confused:

Why did you ring your insurer? :confused:

Because a standard insurance policy does not cover you for 'driving in the course of your employment' and does not indemnify the employer. Obviously the OP's employer wants to see a cert. which indemnifies him (the employer) so the OP needs the insurer to agree to extend cover and wants the insurer to issue a new insurance cert. to indemnify the employer.

Of course (OP, are you listening?) the employer could pay to insure the OP's driving to cover his driving when delivering these documents but the employer wants to do it on the cheap and so he wants the OP to simply get his insurance cover extended to indemnify the employer at no cost to the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 alliejane

thanks for the help, spoke to my insurer and teaches me to go with the online cheap lady polices they were no help at all and do not do any form cover for use of your car for work. Had to change to another insurer who were really helpful but it cost me an extra 200euro, had no choice needed confirmation this week or would loose the job. pity employer did not mention at interview 4 weeks ago!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Surely you can claim the class 2 cost back from your employer ??

Surely you can claim the class 2 cost back from your employer ??

Methinks this is a 'must have own car/bike' job and the OP didn't realise the implications for her insurance. By the sound of it she won't get a penny contribution from the employer for the insurance upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

teaches me to go with the online cheap lady polices

nothing to with the this. Most insurance companies do not want to insure you for business as they you would be on the road more, hence more likely to have an accident, may be carrying goods with a high value which they have to pay out if stolen etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

Your new job wouldn't be as an enumerator OP? Sounds very like it. If so, any extra you have to pay for your car insurance can be claimed back from the CSO.

Advertisement