Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HTC Desire / Andriod 2.2 / Vodafone - deleted my pictures

Options
  • 02-03-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Has this happened anyone else?

I checked my phone yesterday and out of a few hundred pictures, mostly of my kids, I only see 8 pictures on the phone. Like everything has been deleted randomly and out of no where.

I haven't messed with any settings, but I uninstalled a few apps at the weekend - run keeper pro and a few other things I wasn't using.

Now not sure what to do, should have backed up the pictures of course, but is the phone unstable in some way? Would Vodafone support be able to help?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Mmm havent heard that it randomly would do that.

Maybe some one else managed to get their hands on the phone maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Never heard that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Did you use the standard "Camera" application to take the photos or did you have another application ?

Other camera applications may not store their photos in the same standard photo that the "Gallery" app looks in.

Connect the phone to a computer via USB cable and check the DCIM folder.
    There may be a couple of subfolder in there.
    My photos are in
    DCIM\100MEDIA

Failing that, search for "*.jpg" on the entire phone.
    ( Assuming you've connected your phone to your computer in usb drive mode)

Another possibility, is that Vodaphone pushed out firmware/phone updates, and that reset your phone. But I'd be surprised if they were that destructive without serious warnings to the user.

Also, I believe Google removed Malware apps from Android market, and mentioned something about removing them from users phones.
    By any chance did you have one of those malware infested apps, and Google forceably removed them which in turn removed any data associated with it ?
    Just going by the timing here, that it happened recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Similar happed to my HDH at the weekend - I took a lot of new pics, when I was looking for them later, I could only see few of the new ones. Restarted my phone and they were all back, strange. Quick backup on the laptop ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

In the last week I have had a couple of pictures and a video deleted from my phone,how this has occurred I do not know:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

Thanks for the feedback.

There's a massive amount of churn on the internet about the HTC Desire / Android deleting pictures.

It my be a bug in Froyo and I only used the normal camera app to take pictures.

Be Careful - anyone running android back up your stuff now.

I still have no clue what's going on.

EDIT: I was able to restore some of the files (some were completed corrupted) by connecting the SD Card to a computer using a card reader and using Pandora Recovery Software (free download from download.com). Out of 1gig of pictures / videos, it recovered 722 megs, can't really ask for more.

There seems to be some speculation that it could be a bad or generic SD Card doing the damage, no one is clear what's going on yet.

I remember the day it happened I un-installed Angry Birds, could be related!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Idk i ran android 2.2 for ages and the desire HD build and never got it.

You should report it to HTC. They might have a fix or w/e for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

What memory card are you using?

JustinOval wrote: »
    What memory card are you using?

Not sure, It's a generic one I think,

I also could have downloaded a bad app - seems like there was at least 60 of these apps, and because HTC is so slow to push patches / updates, its left a door wide open,

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21061

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Was it the memory card that came with the phone or a ebay cheapy?

• Advertisement

JustinOval wrote: »
    Was it the memory card that came with the phone or a ebay cheapy?

It came with the phone - with vodafone, not from ebay, but of course that doesn't mean its not a dud in some way. I've tested it by connecting it to the pc and it seems fine

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

This happened me twice.
    The first time it turned out that they weren't showing in the gallery, but if I went into the phone memory either using astro on the phone, or connecting to the PC and looking though the images they'd showed up.

The 2nd time it happened it was the memory card that went wallop. Not sure why. Lots of pictures went and can't get them back, had to get a new memory card and it's working fine now, but regularly backing up.

The card itself is unreadable, not showing up in the drive at all, could this be your problem? I think mine was a samsung 8gb that came with it.

Advertisement