Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

htc desire wont mate with my laptop :-(

Options
  • 02-03-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

This is my second attempt to connect my HTC desire. I download everything.. and I have the icon on my desktop but when I open it says "no device connected" even though I have it connected. on the phone I select sync contats and calendar and I get a error message " unable to find HTC sync on your pc. Please make sure that Sync is installed and opened on your computer. You can install HTC sync from the SD card by mounting it to your PC or you can download it from www.htc.com support" what is one to do???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Are u sure you have a male-female usb cable instead of a male-male? :p

On your home screen up the top, can you drag that down and see what usb mode your phone is in?

Or maybe if you're on vista or windows 7, right click HTC Sync and Run as Administrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, make sure that the HTC sync s/w is running on the PC, then unlock the screen display on the HTC Desire and plug in the cable. Do you get a prompt screen asking you what you want the connection used for?

If yes, tap the radio button beside 'HTC Sync' and click on 'Done'. The HTC Sync window on the PC will then open, give it up to 30 seconds to recognise the phone connection.

If not, go to 'Settings' on the phone, select 'Connect to a PC' and tick the 'Ask Me' box, then disconnect the cable, count to 10 and connect it again.

Even if the 'Ask Me' button is ticked, if the screen is locked when you connect the cable you won't see anything on the phone and it may be defaulting to 'Charge Only' after a few seconds - you need to have the display unlocked to make sure you can see what's happening when you connect the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

thanks for you help but none of this works.. I guess I should go back to the shop. it is very fusterating. cos I have downloaded everything and I can see it and open on my desktop but it says "no device found" for gods sake tis there grrrrrr

gubby wrote: »
    thanks for you help but none of this works.. I guess I should go back to the shop. it is very fusterating. cos I have downloaded everything and I can see it and open on my desktop but it says "no device found" for gods sake tis there grrrrrr

Just to be clear, the HTC Sync s/w on the PC needs to be running but you don't need to have the window open, just that the s/w is sitting there waiting for the phone to connect.

Did you download the latest version of HTC Sync from www.htc.com ...

http://www.htc.com/europe/SupportViewNews.aspx?dl_id=1073&news_id=872

Maybe uninstall and reinstall HTC Sync before returning the phone to the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Did you make sure the phone was not in 'Charge only' mode?? If it was then your pc won't recognise it.

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Did you make sure the phone was not in 'Charge only' mode?? If it was then your pc won't recognise it.

I think if you read my first post above you'll see that I covered this possibility, the OP has read it and said it isn't the cause of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I know it sounds obvious but did you try using a different cable? I've had problems with what should be perfectly fine cables not working for no good reason.

thanks for all the suggestions.. not sure why you mean by another cable? I am using the one I got with the phone so it should work. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled without success. no it is not on charge only.. I tried sync contacts and calender and get "unable to find HTC sync on your pc. Please make sure that Sync is installed and opened on your computer. You can install HTC sync from the SD card by mounting it to your PC or you can download it from www.htc.com support"
    I tried share phone's mobile network with pc. that led me to "set up home network" but then when I opened the HTC sync icon on laptop it still says "no device connected" and yes I have it connected to phone and laptop.. back to shop I spos :-(

I even tried restoring my phone to factory settings!!

Could you borrow a USB-microUSB cable from someone just to eliminate the cable as a potential cause? I have a Nokia E55 and the short cable that came with it works with my HTC Desire so I'd check to see if you can borrow a similar cable from someone who bought a smartphone in the past 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

What version of android are you running. I've had similar problems lately with a few wildfires trying to connect to laptops. Updating to 2.2 seemed to do the trick for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Firmware upgrade worked for me.

how do I upgrade firmware????

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Press Menu / Settings / About phone / system software updates / check now.

Also make sure HTC sync software on your laptop is updated.

Advertisement