Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price on wheel rebuild please

Options
  • 02-03-2011 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

whats the going rate for a rear wheel rebuild.
    i need to replace my hub, i want to buy an shimano xt 9 speed 36 hole
    use the same rim and spokes .
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

You wont get to reuse your spokes on a rebuild - and you are better off without them anyway.
    If you are in Dublin, then I'd recommend Humphries in Finglas - €30 to build a wheel and they will supply the spokes....can't go wrong!
    BTW SLX hubs are excellent, and IMHO opinion the way to go over XT which are overpriced! I have a full wheelset with the SLX centre lock hubs on SAS rims - bulletproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

great stuff thanks a million .

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

gman2k wrote: »
    You wont get to reuse your spokes on a rebuild - and you are better off without them anyway.

Why is that?

enas wrote: »
    Why is that?
    well i agree with that comment simply because steel stretches over time
    or so sjs (thorn) told me when they built my touring wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have had a hub replaced without new spokes; not sure it is always a big problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

OK, you may be able to reuse them, but there is no guarantee they will fit your new wheel if the hub flange size is different.
    Personally, I would prefer new spokes on a new wheel, the same way I would prefer new cables if changing gear mechs or calipers.
    For the €30 cost mentioned above, I doubt there would be much cost difference in reusing spokes. To despoke a wheel manually and individually takes a good bit of time, whereas a snips will remove all spokes in a minute!

gman2k wrote: »
    OK, you may be able to reuse them, but there is no guarantee they will fit your new wheel if the hub flange size is different.
    Personally, I would prefer new spokes on a new wheel, the same way I would prefer new cables if changing gear mechs or calipers.
    For the €30 cost mentioned above, I doubt there would be much cost difference in reusing spokes. To despoke a wheel manually and individually takes a good bit of time, whereas a snips will remove all spokes in a minute!

100% correct ;)

Advertisement