Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Photography Equipment & Lighting Equipment

Options
  • 02-03-2011 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Who knew it would be so hard?!

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as to where I can rent Photography lighting equipment in Dublin where I won't have to sign my name in blood?

It seems impossible!

I also need to rent a macro lens, any ideas?
    I've tried Conns but they're rude and for the most part useless!

And, if anyone knows of a Studio to rent on the cheap which has a Black Background that would be great!

Basically, I have to shoot some cufflinks for a job and what seemed like an easy task is turning out to be a nightmare when you don't have your own Studio or Professional Lighting Equipment!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Do you have flashes?
    If you have then you should be able to light the cufflinks easily enough with a few triggers and with a black sheet of paper as your background.

If you don't have flashes then DML rent lights.
    ISS rent out Canon gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 audreyd

Thanks for the reply...

I have a flash and it wouldn't be the most reliable to be honest. The only thing about lighting them with just the flash is I'll get a harsh enough shadow on the black paper?...

I was looking online at building a softbox to go around my flash, and I suppose I could use black material rather than paper!

Thanks for the info about DML, I totally forgot about them!
    And I'll check out ISS to!
    Ballyman wrote: »
    Do you have flashes?
    If you have then you should be able to light the cufflinks easily enough with a few triggers and with a black sheet of paper as your background.

If you don't have flashes then DML rent lights.
    ISS rent out Canon gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Why not bounce the flash off a large sheet of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Actually you probably don't need flash at all for this, you should be able to light the items using a couple of 100W table lamps, or even desk lamps as long as you have a tripod to keep the camera steady. You can vary the illumination by changing the distance between the lights and the subject. You can even soften the light by using plain white shades or even a sheet of paper. Set the camera white balance to tugsten, or shoot raw and adjust in software afterwards.I would use ISO 100, manual exposure, f8 to start with, and use the cameras meter to find a suitable shutter speed. It will probably be several seconds so use the self timer or remote release to avoid camera shake when pressing the shutter button.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

audreyd wrote: »

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as to where I can rent Photography lighting equipment in Dublin where I won't have to sign my name in blood?

It seems impossible!

And, if anyone knows of a Studio to rent on the cheap which has a Black Background that would be great!

Basically, I have to shoot some cufflinks for a job and what seemed like an easy task is turning out to be a nightmare when you don't have your own Studio or Professional Lighting Equipment!

no offence intended but why take on the job if you didn't know you could do it .... you do not need a macro lens to get images of cufflinks (it would benefit greatly from it but its not necessary)

- what are the images to be used for (magazine, poster, brochure, website???)
    - are you shooting a model too or just cuff-links ?

have a look through boards for a setup one of the lads did for shooting jewellery (I think borderfox) ..... thread is about creating a light tent I think, basically its a setup for shooting small objects.

it can be done with natural light if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

If you are just shooting cuff-links you could get away with a very simple set up.

Get a cardboard box a bit bigger than a4 on all sides remove one whole side this will be the bottom on the top and sides cut out panels slightly smaller than a4, cover these holes with tracing paper. To get the black back round just use some black art cardboard available from easons.
    With a bit of creativity and some more cardboard you can direct light from some table lamps through the tracing paper to light the cufflinks.

This was done with this set-up
    C402B81327794E72BE56654AC03F364D-0000314502-0001954832-00500L-E5A0F040BFE64EEA90B3CAD0431C9A8D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

audreyd wrote: »

It seems impossible!

My studio is available for hire, with all of the above available to you. I've an ad on adverts.ie for it if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

OP maybe you can give us a run down of what you have yourself before you go to the expense of hiring a studio.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

tbh you can get a great macro shot from a point and shoot camera

Advertisement