Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newby Starting own website from scratch

Options
  • 02-03-2011 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭

Apologies for asking a question I'm sure has been asked a million times here. I want to start a website, doesn't have to be anything special - it will be a sports website which will contain regular short articles, occasional longer ones and photographs etc.

I want to do the website myself rather than hire someone to do it - have to learn sometime etc etc!

I also want to include a paypal option so people can purchase photographs; link with a Facebook site etc... I have a domain name already bought.

where to now, from here???

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Wordpress is probably the easiest way to build a professional looking website fast and effectively, there are loads of free (or paid) themes so bound to be one to suit you, and e-commerce plugins are also readily available.

Once you're up and running you can dig into the CSS/HTML/PHP and make small changes, learning as you go.

Here's a (very old) guide on how to install Wordpress on your PC, to test and learn at home rather than on a live website.

http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/06/installing-wordpress-locally-under.html

You can set everything up this way before transferring to your live site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

JustinOval wrote: »
    Here's a (very old) guide on how to install Wordpress on your PC, to test and learn at home rather than on a live website.

http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/06/installing-wordpress-locally-under.html

You can set everything up this way before transferring to your live site.

Brilliant, thanks alot - was hoping to find something like that so I could have the site looking half presentable before going 'live' so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Is it possible for me to use the domain name I have already reserved in conjuction with a Wordpress website?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

It is, yeah. Your best bet would be to host your WordPress site with WordPress.com. You can add your own domain for a small annual fee ($12 p/a).

• Advertisement

Serbian wrote: »
    It is, yeah. Your best bet would be to host your WordPress site with WordPress.com. You can add your own domain for a small annual fee ($12 p/a).

But just be aware on wordpress.com you can't use custom themes, use plugins or edit the PHP unless you are on the VIP deal @ $2,500 p.m. :eek:

Wordpress.org is where you get the full application, and hosting is cheap anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭darraghking22

how do, i can send you some video tutorials on how to use adobe dreamweaver. its very good to use for doing websites although you might want to learn a bit of manual html first

these tut's will teach you html a bit and a bit of css too

ps. i can get you dreamweaver a bit cheaper than online with adobe if your interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Dreamweaver is rubbish for design, but good for production. It's also bad value given the price.

more: [n00b] Dreamweaver and html editing

OP WordPress is good enough solution for your needs.

I find Dreamweaver and similar apps more of a hindrance, by the time you get to grips with the software you could be hand coding confidently.

Advertisement