Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fave books by new(ish) authors of 2010 and 2011 so far.

Options
  • 02-03-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭

Hey what books have been the most enjoyable that you have read in the last two years or that.
    Looking for books that have been only published in the past while as I find that I've been reading books that have been published years ago and I'm looking for some new blood to freshen my reading up. Sick of Robert Jordan, George R R Martin, Stephen Donaldson and etc.
    I'm trying out Ben Aaronvitch's book Rivers of London.
    What your new bestest writer person.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Hi OwaynOTT,

Have you tried Micheal Cobley, and his His Humanity's Fire Trilogy, the first two books, Seeds of Earth and Orphaned Worlds, which have been on sale for a while and the last book The Ascendant Stars which will be in the shops soon..

it's a space opera on the lines of starwars..
    More science fiction than fantasy but plenty of fantasy in them..

Pegasus1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Try Joe Abercrombie. Really good new author.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

A couple that I've enjoyed recently are

Brent Weeks - Night Angel Trilogy (from around late 2008)
    Peter Brett - The Painted Man. I haven't read the second one yet but enjoyed the this first one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Try Joe Abercrombie. Really good new author.

Yeah liked his stuff so far. Have The Heroes waiting to be read at the moment. Best Served Cold was good so high hopes for this standalone.

Might try that Brent Weeks. What is it like though and what do you enjoy about it?

Also heard Desert Spear wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Brent Weeks has two series out now - the completed Night Angel Trilogy and the first book of the Lightbringer series.

Neither series are related so the magic system etc. are different in each.

I prefer the NAT myself, really strong and interesting characters and he really put effort into building the world - there are massive histories in nearly every city and place you visit and he mostly only touches upon them but you feel he has a vast amount of notes that make up the history of the world in a folder somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

really enjoyed the latest book by guy gavriel Kay- under heaven (published last year). here is a man who knows how to pull you in within the first 10 pages and keeps it going all the way through. To be honest, he's one of my favorite authors, and all in all, most of what he's written is phenomenal (3 books i thought were weak).

Advertisement