Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outwitting the cats..

Options
  • 02-03-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

We are digging a new food garden here. It was no surprise to see neat cat pawprints in the freshly worked earth; one of ours had been watching the work from an upstairs window and came down to "help" later.

So now where seeds will be sown and where the onion setts are in, we have laid chicken wire over the soil. Plants will easily grow through it and the cats will not walk on it.... This has always worked for us; lay stones at the edges to keep it flat. And the same netting can be used year after year.

They seem to leave larger seedlings alone; just the newly- dug earth they claim.

We had the immediate reward of seeing the cat who had watched use the bank nearby instead of the garden..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

I love how one of them was upstairs, watching from a high, plotting his next 'deployment'.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Things like those are not unknown to me.

My cat loves to walk over the freshly cleaned floor. He just sits outside on the window sill, sometimes looking like a mud-ball after coming back from a walk...and of course coming in just after me finishing the cleaning :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

poconnor16 wrote: »
    I love how one of them was upstairs, watching from a high, plotting his next 'deployment'.....:D

He is a canny one. Some years ago, before I got wise to this way of stopping them, I turned my back for a minute after sowing carrots and there he was, enjoying his pooping amid the new seed.

So this time he got foiled....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

That's a good idea :) I'm going to plant some veggies for my rabbits and guinea pigs, and I can imagine my cats will love that . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

That's a good idea :) I'm going to plant some veggies for my rabbits and guinea pigs, and I can imagine my cats will love that . . .

He might as well love the guinea pigs and the rabbit ;)

Seriously, my cat sits on the wall. looking into the neighbour's garden. They have a rabbit, and I guess, he wants to play with it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

We've covered all our flower beds in bark, except for one far corner behind a tree, which we've piled high with soft composty earth.
    They think all their Christmases have come at once.
    Nice warm bark to snooze on in the sunshine, and a ready-made, hidden "litter tray" in the corner.
    Happiness is.....!!

Advertisement