Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would a fox attack a dog?

Options
  • 02-03-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

A few times recently I have seen a fox hanging out in the estate where I live. Every night I walk our two bichons around there and am worried about us bumping into him at some stage. Twice when I saw him I tried to shoo him away but he just sat there as bold as brass. I was just wondering would a fox be any less likely to attack than a dog would be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's little to gain for the fox in attacking your dogs, especially if you're there. I've seen plenty of foxes sit there and watch from a certain distance, but if you make any move towards them, they're gone.

Foxes aren't dangerous towards people or dogs. They're scavengers primarily or eat small animals like mice, birds and cockroaches. They do their best to do as little fighting as possible as they're built for speed and stealth, not combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

but if you make any move towards them, they're gone.

Thats what I thought too but this fella was sitting outside a house (unoccupied) about four feet from me and wasn't at all bothered about me walking so near to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Very, very unlikely a fox would go for the dogs
    As said already, they manage with stealth, not agression

This fox is probably used to humans. It's possible there is someone in the estate leaving out scraps for it.

I still don't see it going for the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I beg to differ.
    Foxes seem to be becoming braver and are willing it seems to attack small dogs and cats.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2011/january/4/giant_fox_killed.aspx

In saying that i'd be absolutely amazed if a fox were to attack your small dogs with you around.
    The fox instinctively will avoid any confrontation it feels it can't win.
    You and your dogs are pretty safe OP.
    Just don't trap a fox in a corner:D

amiable wrote: »
    I beg to differ.
    Foxes seem to be becoming braver and are willing it seems to attack small dogs and cats.
    Note that the discussion on this has already been had :) but there have still been no confirmed reports of attacks from foxes, even on humans. All we have are "after the fact" accounts where it's assumed that a fox did the attack (which they may well have).

I also hear that in the UK, there's a very different attitude to urban foxes. Over here, we tend to acknowledge their existence, but generally stay away. In the UK they tend to leave out food for them and even provide shelter in some cases. Though I gather that this is becoming widespread here now too.

Ultimately though a fox is very unlikely to attack any animal capable of causing damage because they're not fighters.

If you see him often and you're getting worried then carry a stick with you on your walks and bang it off the ground in front of the fox to shoo him away.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Note that the discussion on this has already been had :) but there have still been no confirmed reports of attacks from foxes, even on humans. All we have are "after the fact" accounts where it's assumed that a fox did the attack (which they may well have).

I also hear that in the UK, there's a very different attitude to urban foxes. Over here, we tend to acknowledge their existence, but generally stay away. In the UK they tend to leave out food for them and even provide shelter in some cases. Though I gather that this is becoming widespread here now too.

Ultimately though a fox is very unlikely to attack any animal capable of causing damage because they're not fighters.

If you see him often and you're getting worried then carry a stick with you on your walks and bang it off the ground in front of the fox to shoo him away.
    I beg to differ.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2011/january/4/giant_fox_killed.aspx

In saying that i'd be absolutely amazed if a fox were to attack your small dogs with you around.
    The fox instinctively will avoid any confrontation it feels it can't win.
    You and your dogs are pretty safe OP.
    Just don't trap a fox in a corner:D
    Note the words in bold.
    Haven't said its a fact.
    I said it seems to happen.
    I also go on to say not to worry as the fox won't attack against something its scared of.

Note the words in bold.
    Haven't said its a fact.
    I said it seems to happen.
    I also go on to say not to worry as the fox won't attack against something its scared of.
    To be fair you did say that you "beg to differ". :)

To be fair you did say that you "beg to differ". :)
    To be fair i quite clearly said seems too.
    It seems to me that some foxes are getting desperate and will take risks they wouldn't have taken before.
    But no definite proof is there.
    Would i let small dogs out where they could be in contact with a fox without me?
    Personally no i wouldn't.
    Would i be worried about a fox if with my dogs?
    Not at all.
    Sorry for the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

There's little to gain for the fox in attacking your dogs, especially if you're there. I've seen plenty of foxes sit there and watch from a certain distance, but if you make any move towards them, they're gone.

Foxes aren't dangerous towards people or dogs. They're scavengers primarily or eat small animals like mice, birds and cockroaches. They do their best to do as little fighting as possible as they're built for speed and stealth, not combat.

My cocker/springer spaniel was attacked by a fox last week. I live in an estate also and in fairness it was my dog that cornered the fox in a park at the end of my road. My dog got some fright and the next day a large lump developed on her back where the fox had hit out at her. I have seen foxes before in the park but they usually run when they see a dog, as I said my dog cornered her in the bushes and came out the worse for wear :) I dont believe a fox would attack a dog first though, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

While I think it's unlikely for a fox to attack a dog I'd check that your garden fence is secure anyway. Bichons are a small breed, and if one did tangle with a fox, for any reason, it could be injured.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

reeta wrote: »
    My cocker/springer spaniel was attacked by a fox last week. I live in an estate also and in fairness it was my dog that cornered the fox in a park at the end of my road. My dog got some fright and the next day a large lump developed on her back where the fox had hit out at her. I have seen foxes before in the park but they usually run when they see a dog, as I said my dog cornered her in the bushes and came out the worse for wear :) I dont believe a fox would attack a dog first though, but I could be wrong.

that isn't an attack though - any animal will defend its life. It would have been no different if it was 2 dogs in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Where you have people trying to make "pets" out of them, feeding them closer and closer to the house and in some cases trying reach out and pet them is making the urban foxes fear humans less, its not that they are desperate. There is enough food left out for dogs/cats for an urban fox to get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Homerhop, don't get in a flap, most fed tame foxes would be on farms in rural areas in fairness. The urban foxes are simply not as afraid as the rural foxes for obvious reasons. I have loads in my area, they run across the garden when the dog is in his kennel, nothing happens.

OP, you don't have anything to fear, a bite from a dog is a much bigger risk to a fox than the other way round. A wound gone septic means the end for most foxes, they wouldn't risk a scrap for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Homerhop, don't get in a flap, most fed tame foxes would be on farms in rural areas in fairness. The urban foxes are simply not as afraid as the rural foxes for obvious reasons. I have loads in my area, they run across the garden when the dog is in his kennel, nothing happens.

OP, you don't have anything to fear, a bite from a dog is a much bigger risk to a fox than the other way round. A wound gone septic means the end for most foxes, they wouldn't risk a scrap for no reason.
    x2
    Plus a small dog is at a much greater risk from other dogs or cats, than it is from a fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Not getting into a flap. just expressing my opinion no more than you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

People I know had an aprx. 10 week old? golden retriever pup. They let him out in the garden for a few minutes and he got attacked and killed by a fox that wandered into their garden... so sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sotisme wrote: »
    People I know had an aprx. 10 week old? golden retriever pup. They let him out in the garden for a few minutes and he got attacked and killed by a fox that wandered into their garden... so sad :(

They are wild critters and predators as farmers know to their cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

I doubt a fox would go looking to get in a fight with a dog, but a dog will often look for a fight with a fox and come off worse.

My whippet chased one last night and I prayed he wouldnt get near him cos it was a fine fox and he would have been injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

would a fox attack a dog?

Yes of course, Ive saw plenty of good looking women fighting ugly women over the years.

Advertisement