Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Second Hand Book Shops

Options
  • 02-03-2011 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for some good ones. Anywhere in the country. With a good selection of Fantasy books.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

It's hard to find ones with good selections of sci-fi or fantasy books I've found, as they tend to not have the biggest choice of books that they'll have.

There's a pretty cool second hand bookshop in Paul Street in Cork, tucked into the corner, though I can't remember the name. It's one of those types where you might have to go digging to find what you want, but it's a lot of fun to go searching there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Chapters on Parnell Street without a doubt. They've a huge second-hand Sci-fi & Fantasy section - about 8 book cases worth (i.e 100s of 2nd-hand books). Good range of titles. You can find some warehouse editions there - almost mint condition at low prices.

They also have a lot of bargains for 'Fantasy & Sci-Fi' in the new section downstairs. Good and new titles too - i.e Joe Abercrombie, Robert Jordan, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Yeah use to browse in Chapters when I lived in Dublin, never went into the upstairs though.
    Good mixture of hardcover and softcover?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

ixoy wrote: »
    Chapters on Parnell Street without a doubt. They've a huge second-hand Sci-fi & Fantasy section - about 8 book cases worth (i.e 100s of 2nd-hand books). Good range of titles. You can find some warehouse editions there - almost mint condition at low prices.

They also have a lot of bargains for 'Fantasy & Sci-Fi' in the new section downstairs. Good and new titles too - i.e Joe Abercrombie, Robert Jordan, etc.

Sounds pretty great - must take a look in there the next time I'm in Dublin! :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Yeah use to browse in Chapters when I lived in Dublin, never went into the upstairs though.
    Good mixture of hardcover and softcover?
    Yes as well as large trade-paperbacks. The section is upstairs in the far right corner, hidden away. Found some great bargains there (e.g Glen Cook's Black Company Volume 1 in pristine condition for about €8 andSteph Swainston's Castle omnibus for the same).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

I know it might be a bit of a trek but if any of ye are ever in Edinburgh for a few days there is a fantastic 2nd hand bookshop called armchair books. Brilliant fantasy and sci-fi selection, loads and loads of books for realy cheap, its where I buy all mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Codofwar wrote: »
    I know it might be a bit of a trek but if any of ye are ever in Edinburgh for a few days there is a fantastic 2nd hand bookshop called armchair books. Brilliant fantasy and sci-fi selection, loads and loads of books for realy cheap, its where I buy all mine.

Bit of a trek there but where abouts is it? Brother in law in college there so never know might be there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Chapters is certainly number one in Dublin ... a great selection of second-hand books.

Another option is that record room / second hand bookshop next on Wicklow street, near Tower Records. The name escapes me, but there's a sign outside advertising it, and you walk through a short corridor to get there. Not as good a selection but not bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Bit of a trek there but where abouts is it? Brother in law in college there so never know might be there.

If you are in the grassmarket and are heading towards towards lothian road (or towards the pubic triangle as some might know of) its 2mins off the grassmarket on the left. Excellent bookshop, just before the art college.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's called "The Secret Book and Record Store".. Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Secret-Book-and-Record-Store/124706510933587

Usually have a good collection of second hand DVD's too...

• Advertisement
Advertisement