Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing canti's to v brakes.

Options
  • 01-03-2011 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So my current bike is a focus mares as detailed . I brought it out for the today for my first spin of the year around Howth head. Coming on the decent towards the village when breaking there was both feck all stopping power and the squeal coming from both back and front was ungodly!!! and I mean you could prob hear it in Dunlaoghire! I did bring the bike to the LBS previously and he said there was more than plenty of life left in the pads, the rims are clean and the breaks are set up properly

Anyway, I remember the same decent on a hybrid I used to have that used V brakes and there was much more stopping power and no squeal at all. So im thinking that v brakes might be the way forward. So my question is this, How much hastle would the conversion be, and would it be possible? im kind of turned off cycling the bike at the moment because the braking is so terrible!

What think ye??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Schnell

I wouldn't be sure about the squeal not being fixable, but I'd say stopping power isn't going to get much better without going to v's. It's a lot of hassle though, you'll have to get rid of the sti's, get specific v-brake drop bar levers and use bar-end shifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

just found another discussion on the forum here, looks like mini v's are the way forward perhaps? I wont be doing any cross races so mud clearance isnt an issue for me at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I have Tektro Oryx cantilever brakes.

sheldonbrown.com says they work well if you put Kool Stop "Mountain" shoes on them.

Which are these, I think.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8135
    I'm going to try them and see whether they improve matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Mini Vs are a drop-in replacement but they come with the issue that you have to set the pads VERY close to the rim, so even the slightest buckle you will have brake rub. You need to put the pads so close, also, that you can't release the brake if you need to remove the wheel. You need to stick a barrel adjuster in there somewhere which is another hassle.

If you currently have narrow-profile cantis I would swap them for wide-profile adjustable cantis and play with the adjustment. Having used narrow cantis, mini-Vs and wide-profile cantis that is my preference. (Standard Vs are good but not with STI levers.) Ultimately braking is not great on cross bikes with STI levers.

i saw that the travel adaptor for v brakes can be good to counter the sti/v brake issue. The cantis are wide profile. Thought I put a link up there but didnt.

this is a link to the bike http://www.eurocycles.ie/Focus_Mares/3344_p.aspx

I heard about those kool stop pads, im wondering would they do the trick. To be honest, its the bloody squeeling i want to get rid of the most. The noise is just so embarrasing not to mention annoying!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I know the bike shop said that the brakes were set up OK but brake squeal can result from pads not being properly "toed-in". The front of the pads should be set slightly closer to the rim than the back. See the end of this page:

http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/brake1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If they are wide profile and adjustable you should be able to get acceptable braking playing with the height of the bridge. Squeal could be pads or toe in.

might try another lbs so. To be honest the one I brought it to I dont really trust at all. Maybe the Kool stop will be the way forward.

So, bought my self a set of Avid Shorty 6's off ebay coming in at 60 euro. Lets hope they make a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

I got a set of mini vs for my touring bike but never put them on,I find to Cantis grand now,once you keep them well adjusted.the only reason I didn't put the minis on was mudguard clearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I have Tektro Oryx cantilever brakes.

sheldonbrown.com says they work well if you put Kool Stop "Mountain" shoes on them.

Which are these, I think.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8135
    I'm going to try them and see whether they improve matters.
    They do improve things. Fitted some the other day. I just need it to rain now so I can test them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

If you're Happy with the mini v's I'd take the cantis off your hands!

Advertisement