Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox and a cat

Options
  • 01-03-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

So i arrived home from work this evening to find a fox outside my neighbours house. He/she was eating the food thats left out for their cat,my cat (male) was sat there too. Does this happen regularly??? :confused: cats and foxes hanging out???

When my cat came over to me to say hello the fox came over too,then quickly ran back to the food. Is there any risk to my cat?? Im gonna treat him for fleas again just in case but thought the whole thing was a bit weird. I didnt know foxes would be so brave.:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I can't help you with your question but I would love to see pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I wouldnt see this as weird,a hungry fox and non hungry bored cats will probably just tolerate each other to be honest.A fox wont mess with the cats if theres food available and they wont be riled if they're stuffed and non food challenged. Up your flea treatment tbh..and take pics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

My neighbour caught sight of a young fox on our shared back wall, nose to nose with our cat who was fairly young himself at the time and a ginger cat and said he could have made a fortune from the picture, the scene was so amazing. The foxes have never bothered any of our cats, so far anyway. I feel so sorry for them and yet can't help admiring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am feeding a fox for the last couple of months and my cats sit on the (low) wall and watch him eat. Mr. Tiddles has no problem walking up to the fox and sharing the food (but Mr. Tiddles is weird :D). The other cats just watch or fall asleep watching more like ;).

Peaceful co-existence :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

EGAR wrote: »
    I am feeding a fox for the last couple of months and my cats sit on the (low) wall and watch him eat. Mr. Tiddles has no problem walking up to the fox and sharing the food (but Mr. Tiddles is weird :D). The other cats just watch or fall asleep watching more like ;).

Peaceful co-existence :P

Lovely picture; thank you. One of our cats used to run with the pine marten we fed and they befriend ferals also. We are feeding what we think is a fox but have never seen him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

A few months ago someone on here said something about a young fox living with a group of feral cats and playing with the kittens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Rochester wrote: »
    My neighbour caught sight of a young fox on our shared back wall, nose to nose with our cat who was fairly young himself at the time and a ginger cat and said he could have made a fortune from the picture, the scene was so amazing. The foxes have never bothered any of our cats, so far anyway. I feel so sorry for them and yet can't help admiring them.

ha my fella is ginger too, he's a big enough cat (although in my mind he is a tiny baby:p) the fox was about the same size so I'd imagine he/she was young enough. My guy is aggressive with all other cats but is fine with my dog (who happens to look a lot like a fox).

But the cat who's food was been eaten slept on my doorstep all night, he was crying too :( He's a little softie and think he was upset to find all his food gone,he was too scared to go back to his house. I'll be dropping up to the neighbour to let them know.

Good to know that they can live ok,I just have to hope my guy doesnt get any mad ideas and think he can take on a fox!!

Advertisement