Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity reps at door

Options
  • 01-03-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Have been thinking of changing over for a while and had one of the reps on the door yesterday. Just worried about handing over my bank details to some stranger at the door. Have asked her to call back and she has already taken my meter reading etc. Am I being over paranoid????? Has anybody else given their bank details to reps at the door?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

You have every right to be paranoid but more than likely they are legit.

http://www.airtricity.com/

Get the number from the website and give them a call and do it over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

9st n 09 wrote: »
    Have been thinking of changing over for a while and had one of the reps on the door yesterday. Just worried about handing over my bank details to some stranger at the door. Have asked her to call back and she has already taken my meter reading etc. Am I being over paranoid????? Has anybody else given their bank details to reps at the door?
    i had them last month as well. I had only few weeks left in my current place so may be 5-10 euro I may save by switching. But I had a friend who worked in a job like this and afaik they get paid for every successful switch. So i just did it for him, It may atleast help him in his job. He might get few bucks...

But he only asked for airtricity bill ( I had already switched this long back by some other rep.) just took some a/c no from the bill and got me to sign on his fancy device, thats all. After a week I got letter welcoming me to airtricity...

But I have a problem that I trust anyone and everyone. Was never disappointed with this stupid habit in life though...

aspasp1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Yeah they are legit but there is a big thread on the consumer issues forum regarding these reps pushy nature at the door. They knocked on my door a few weeks ago and I switched over there and then. Got a email confirmation from airtricity saying my electricity and gas were being switched over.

Theyre estimated meter reading might be slightly off so you might have to submit meter readings before every bi-monthly bill to avoid being over-charged. Apart from that they seem to be much cheaper than ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

look into HOW you sign up too, I think theres slightly better deals if you do it in certain ways. Consumer forum could probably help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 frecklesgalore

The guys that call to your door are working for a marketing company PERDm, Airtricity is their client. As a result, these guys are on comission. That is why they come across as pushy sometimes. As Airtricity doesn't train them directly, the learn their sales and marketing skills in what is known as "Atmosphere", which they attend for free. They are brainwashed into believing that if they follow the law of averages a certain amount of people on a given day will switch. They have certain targets to meet etc. If you don't want to switch at the door, do it online. Calling someone on the phone may mean you are just contacting a telesales company, that like door to door sales reps is working off comission. The decision should be yours. Make it an informed one. Sign whatever way you feel comfortable with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The actual deal is quite a good one.

However the sales reps are part of what is basically an elaborate pyramid scheme - I did the job (for a different company) for a few weeks, and left because I did not like the atmosphere - and also because I have a conscience.

These are the sorts of companies that require you to work from 10am to 9pm with no organised breaks, two hours of which is in their main office in town where you make no money whatsoever, and have circle jerks ceremonies of "promotion" and "best salesperson" etc almost every day, constantly get promised that in 6 months you could be earning €120k+; for commission (when I was doing it) of €14 per signup and absolutely no basic pay. If we didn't get 25 signups a week, you were released from your contract. That's why they're pushy.

At the end of the day, READ the form from cover to cover. Don't let them ring ESB for your MPRN number on your doorstep - do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

My sister whos a student used to work with them for a few weeks, I would listen to them if I were you because they are just trying to make ends meet in college a lot of them, and they are working horrible hours! And they do even have a good deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 seamusfamous

There is a lot of scam artist's out there alright but i done the door to door thing myself for years its a though game

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

There grand, my friend works for em :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 frecklesgalore

Yes they are fine, ask for ID. There is a number on their id badge that will allow you to call and verify their identity.

There's not a whole lot you can do with bank account details unless they have your id etc.

If you feel more comfortable you can always go on line or call Airtricity yourself.

These guys work on comission only so they can do with the cash and once you verify who they are you shouldn't have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Guy just called to my door. Same guy whom called last time. Same guy I told NEVER to call to my door again. Didn't wait for his excuse. Slammed door in his face saying "What did I say the last time?"

I don't give a sh*t he needs to make his commission to pay his wages. I don't need to be harrassed in my own home by sales people.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭9st n 09

Just to update:
    Gave my bank details when she called back, received an email from Airtricity within a couple of days welcoming me to the service. Within a week received a letter to confirm all my details including my bank details and then finally last week recived a second letter just running through the service etc etc. So so far so good, although I haven't received a bill yet :D And as far as I know there's been no loan taken out in my name in Mexico :D

Although I do agree with Berty I do hate being harressed at my door and normally never entertain door to door sales people but I had been planning to switch to Airtricity so it was a very well timed call!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Berty wrote: »
    Guy just called to my door. Same guy whom called last time. Same guy I told NEVER to call to my door again. Didn't wait for his excuse. Slammed door in his face saying "What did I say the last time?"

I don't give a sh*t he needs to make his commission to pay his wages. I don't need to be harrassed in my own home by sales people.

Bloody salesmen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭BobMc

had them at my door recently, wanted a flyer so I could read, got some bs about eco friendly co. so no flyers did part with one though when pushed, he went away I got out my calculator and the elec was more expensive then I'm paying but the gas was a bit cheaper but not enough to warrant a change due the overcharge on the elec, be warned, get you calculator out and do a like for like charge comparison on an old bill with the rates

Bloody salesmen :D

I don't call to their homes in their downtime though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I changed over last year and changed back with in 3 months as they said i would have cheaper prices but our bill was higher then the last one from ESB and we were out of the house for one of those months, also they say they were 15% cheaper then ESB but now they have changed their adds to 10 to 14 % cheaper

avoid and stay with ESB

and also you have to do all the leg work like sending them your meter readings and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 51,180 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't sign up to anything yet, the ESB are deregulated now and announcing their new price structures from today. Hopefully this will start a price war between the 3 of them.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Don't sign up to anything yet, the ESB are deregulated now and announcing their new price structures from today. Hopefully this will start a price war between the 3 of them.

Checked it out. Price Savings seem okay till the end of March 2011. I would trust ESB more than Airtricity to be fair. Called them up as website was confusing and she didn;'t know the price plans on the phone. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭BobMc

the esb rates all seem to be based on direct debit, I refuse to do direct debit with any of them so I'll be staying put with Bord Gais, I think bad debts and arrears must be bad if they'll only offer the discounts with direct debits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tombones

Airtricity Salespeople are the biggest C_U_N_TS in Ireland. Please stop calling and dont forget to rot in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Berty wrote: »
    Checked it out. Price Savings seem okay till the end of March 2011. I would trust ESB more than Airtricity to be fair. Called them up as website was confusing and she didn;'t know the price plans on the phone. :confused:

Is that 2012 you mean? Thinking of changing to them from airtricity (avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid).

phill106 wrote: »
    Is that 2012 you mean? Thinking of changing to them from airtricity (avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid).

Sorry 2012. Elec till 31st March and Gas prices till 4th April.

Weeds out lazy people who have to read two meters though. :D I'm stumbling on the line of laziness but will do it later after work I'd say. By March/April 2012 somebody else will have a similar/better offer and I will move again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭trellheim

If they are calling to doors again after being told not to they are ignoring customer preference, ring Airtricity and ask to speak to a supervisor, tell them and ask to be contacted with the outcome of the complaint.

If you dont get satisfaction complain to the regulator

If that doesn't work tell em ESB will do it for leccy and gas for 12 euro a quarter all in, if they can match that they can have the business

ESB 'denies poorest cheaper tariff'

Consumer rights chiefs claimed the power supplier was trying to cherry-pick customers for a price war and branded the rules unfair.

Ann FitzGerald, National Consumer Agency (NCA) chief executive, said she was greatly concerned that the new price plans appear to limit or exclude vulnerable consumers.

"We think it's totally unacceptable for a state body to have an approach that precludes consumers who are in arrears from availing of all these products," she said.

"You can't preclude people from the competition that has come into the Irish market.

"The ESB offering is not fair for everybody and that's not good enough from a state company."

The ESB, rebranded as ESB Electric Ireland, is targeting the return of about 100,000 customers from Airtricity and Bord Gais in a new pricing plan to bring its share of the market up to the 60% mark.

It has set three rules for consumers to save up to 17% - based on the current cost of ESB electricity supply - on household bills.

Customers do not need 12 months clear of arrears on their accounts as long as arrears have been cleared; any debts must be cleared before an application will be considered; and the issue of arrears does not apply to social welfare recipients so long as they sign up for a special minimum payment and direct debit scheme.

An ESB spokesman refuted any suggestions it was discriminating against some of the worst off. The company also insisted the cheap tariff - based on customers using direct debit, online billing and signing up for both gas and electricity supply - was not closed to the over 70s or those on social welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

Beer Baron wrote: »

well said. bit harsh the oul door slammin, but i guess you did warn him. i know the guys have to make a living but im sick to death of getting home after a days work to hear little one say as i look forward to the dins, daddy your wanted at the door. guess what greets me, harry potter fresh from wizard school and wait for it ,im from such an such and im gonna make great savings on your bill for you but only if you sign this tonight. wow! i have soo much money from all these reps callin and saving me money. i must be a coool guy to have all these friends.
    my advice take the pen, they do have nice ones and tell em you have to shut the door for a second, dog might get out!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

They used to be proud telling us , that Airtricity was 10% cheaper than ESB.

Well after today's news , that is not the case anymore :
    Airtricity said electricity prices would rise by 12.3% from 1 September, while gas prices go up by 21.2% from 1 October.

link:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0816/airtricity.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Airtricity reps at the door, they get €40 or €45 per switch, probably a low or zero basic salary hence the hard sell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

Airtricity reps at the door, they get €40 or €45 per switch, probably a low or zero basic salary hence the hard sell

sorry guys who work for theese lot, but not at my door. hope im not redirecting original post but callin to peoples homes with this hard sell, no afraid not, one hopes to come home to relax. what next, sitting out back garden and harry leans over the wall, clipboard in hand with a great deal from AlLDI or kelloogs selling gas, electricity, phone , broadband, tv. its like supermarkets doin mobile phones and credit cards. oops they doooooo. help. wonder when i can trade my car in at tscos.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I have reps EVERY night calling to my door. Last week there were two cars FULL or reps arguing at the top of the estate as to whom was going to hound the estate that evening. :eek:

Last night we tried to ignore the guys who called twice to the door. Once I was sitting on the couch eating a bag of crisps and couldnt be asshatted and the other time I was out raking the grass out the back. He looked out over the fence at me and I said eyeing the open gate "don't even think about it". He was definately going to come around the back FFS. :mad:

Advertisement