Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this slow down my system?

Options
  • 01-03-2011 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading my Macbook's HD from 160GB to either 250GB or 500GB.

My Macbook is the late 2009 aluminium model with the NVIDIA GeForce graphics card.

I have 4GB of RAM in the computer with a 2GHz Intel Core Duo Processor running OSX Version 10.6.6.

Would this upgrade slow down my computer (the hard drives won't be SSD), and which hard drive should I choose to keep the speed in the system?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I used one of these didn't notice any problems, this one is way over priced you should be able to pick one for about 100 euro

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/279-0074931-2818955?a=B002L264J6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Thanks but I was asking whether a 250GB or 500GB HD would slow it down, and if so, which one should I get to keep it speedy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

While seek time, platter density and cache size are a factor, the short answer is: No, not really. I wouldn't worry about it. Just get the biggest, most reliable drive you can get.

If you are really concerned about speed you could get a 7200rpm hard drive (over the usual 5400rpm), they spin faster, but I'm not sure if the increased heat causes problems. There aren't many 2.5" 7200rpm drives at the moment, but WD definitely do one.

Otherwise, any 2.5" SATA hard drive should do the trick. Just try and make sure it doesn't have a motion sensor as they conflict with the Macbook's built-in one, although this can be disabled if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

I've the latest 27" imac and thinking of putting in a second harddrive for use with backups. Is it easy to do this my self? are they sata 2.5 also? Suppose I could do raid also.

on an other point the imac is almost silent except for this slight "hickup" click from the HD every few seconds. Anyway to check if it is faulty. Only bough xmas 2010 so in watrranty. Do apple just send me a new one if faulty? is is a customer replacable unit?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've the latest 27" imac and thinking of putting in a second harddrive for use with backups. Is it easy to do this my self? are they sata 2.5 also? Suppose I could do raid also.
    There isn't space for a second hard drive in the iMac. You can replace the current drive. It's not that difficult, but requires you to use suction cups to remove the screen. Apple don't consider the hard drive to be a user-serviceable part though, so if you damage anything while doing this the warranty will be void.
    on an other point the imac is almost silent except for this slight "hickup" click from the HD every few seconds. Anyway to check if it is faulty. Only bough xmas 2010 so in watrranty. Do apple just send me a new one if faulty? is is a customer replacable unit?
    Is this hickup sound really loud? Is it constant?

• Advertisement

There isn't space for a second hard drive in the iMac. You can replace the current drive. It's not that difficult, but requires you to use suction cups to remove the screen. Apple don't consider the hard drive to be a user-serviceable part though, so if you damage anything while doing this the warranty will be void.

Is this hickup sound really loud? Is it constant?

no a low clicking but a regular as clockwork every second or there abouts

Sounds normal enough to me. Some hard drives make more noise than others. But use Disk Utility to verify the hard drive. And if you are really concerned, it's within warranty, so contact Apple or leave it in somewhere.

Oh and the iMac takes a 3.5" SATA hard drive.

Sounds normal enough to me. Some hard drives make more noise than others. But use Disk Utility to verify the hard drive. And if you are really concerned, it's within warranty, so contact Apple or leave it in somewhere.

Oh and the iMac takes a 3.5" SATA hard drive.

thanks guys, i'll run the Disk Utiluty later to check it. 3.5inch - thanks again. weird only one space though. shere does the SSD (i've not got one) go? or is it one of those hybrid combo drives

SSD (hybrid or otherwise) would go in the same place as the HDD.

SSD (hybrid or otherwise) would go in the same place as the HDD.

the Disk Utility has an option for Raid. How with only 1 drive slot?

• Advertisement

the Disk Utility has an option for Raid. How with only 1 drive slot?
    For the Mac Pro, which has 4 hard drive bays.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

thanks guys, i'll run the Disk Utiluty later to check it. 3.5inch - thanks again. weird only one space though. shere does the SSD (i've not got one) go? or is it one of those hybrid combo drives

The 2010 27" iMac has a BTO option for a second drive. There is space for a 2.5" drive in addition to the normal 3.5" drive. However, if you didn't order it pre-configured with two drives, the mounting kit and cables aren't included, so it'll be a difficult though not impossible to get a 2nd drive in.

- barry

Yeah, sorry, Barry is correct. For some reason I thought it was a 21 inch iMac you had.

But if you are just using it for backup you are better off with an external drive anyway.

Advertisement