Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2Ltr Diesel VS 1.4 Petrol

Options
  • 01-03-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Hey people, just looking for a bit of advice here,

I currently drive a 02 Mondeo tddi 2.0
    With the cost of tax and insurence, lately I'm finding it hard to cover all running costs comfortably.

I'm thinking of buying a different car and as I'm not doing long motorway journeys for work anymore I'm wondering is a big diesel really much of a cost saver.

I'm looking at cars around 1.3 - 1.5 petrol (small cars, not heavy saloons) but I cant really figure out would it be cheaper to run. I know diesel usually gives longer mileage but on short trips to and from the office is it really worth it? Considering tax and insurance are a fair bit cheaper than the 2.0 diesel.

Now obviously the best option would be to buy a newer small engine diesel but i'm limited budget wise as I can only afford to buy something out of what I get from selling the mondeo.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Anthonyk.is
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

How much mileage will you be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

On shorter trips a petrol car will not be much dearer than a diesel, factor in the difference in tax, insurance, servicing etc you probably will save long term. Remember the Mondeo is going to be worth less than 4k so you need to carefully look into what car you are going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

-Corkie- wrote: »
    How much mileage will you be doing?

I would only do about 10 - 15 miles a day max monday to friday. Most weekends I would do hardly any cause i'd usually go in someones elses car (my friends have nicer cars lol)

Then maybe once every 6 weeks ill drive to arklow and back. (100 miles total - i know that will cost more in the petrol but its not a regular trip)

On shorter trips a petrol car will not be much dearer than a diesel, factor in the difference in tax, insurance, servicing etc you probably will save long term. Remember the Mondeo is going to be worth less than 4k so you need to carefully look into what car you are going to get.

Yeah ive seen online that they go for between 3K & 3.5K with a full nct.
    I'll be looking at something around 00, and pref a jap (mitsubishi colt 1.3, honda civic 1.4 ect....)

Cheers Guys

I would only do about 10 - 15 miles a day max monday to friday. Most weekends I would do hardly any cause i'd usually go in someones elses car (my friends have nicer cars lol)

Then maybe once every 6 weeks ill drive to arklow and back. (100 miles total - i know that will cost more in the petrol but its not a regular trip)

Petrol definitley. As oldman said you will pay extra for a modern diesel initally. You then have the risk of replacing injectors.DMF`S and DPF`S.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the advice man, parts would generally be cheaper too wouldnt they on a smaller petrol? And a full service on the mondeo costs the guts of €200 - €250.

They will be cheaper and also road tax will be almost half the price.

Thanks a million -Corkie-.

Any suggestions on a decent car to get? Seen a Mitsubishi Mirage 1.3 asti that cought my attention on looks. Any idea what theyre like?

I wouldnt have much experience with them now but they would be fairly good in fairness. Have a look at the bangeromics thread here. I posted a link to a 97 Civic for 800 euro.

Cool i'll check it out, might see something else in there that catches my eye.

Thanks again mate!!

• Advertisement

No bother! Check out Donedeal or Adverts.ie. Post the links here and you will be told if they are a good car or a shed!!

-Corkie- wrote: »
    No bother! Check out Donedeal or Adverts.ie. Post the links here and you will be told if they are a good car or a shed!!

Will do man, let the shopping commence.............. I hate this part!! lol

Advertisement