Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutering Male

Options
  • 01-03-2011 7:40pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey All,

Me and the missus have 2 dogs and are looking to get one neutered. We went to the Vet in Clondalkin and were given a price of €160 - To me, this seems very expensive. Does anyone know if this is the standard price or are we being taken for a ride. We only ever go there and they seem like a great crowd, never had an issue.

Any further info would be great!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Hey All,

Me and the missus have 2 dogs and are looking to get one neutered. We went to the Vet in Clondalkin and were given a price of €160 - To me, this seems very expensive. Does anyone know if this is the standard price or are we being taken for a ride. We only ever go there and they seem like a great crowd, never had an issue.

Thanks.

We got our Westie neutered about 2 months ago and it was €70. Not sure if the size of the dog makes a difference. We are in Carlow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Hey All,

Thanks.

Pretty average for Dublin to be honest. There's cheaper ways of going about it for people on social welfare or old age pensioners. There's also the Blue Cross which might be worth looking in to. But in general that's the price on average to neuter a male dog in Dublin. Our JRT cost 170 in Swords last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Hey All,

Thanks.

It depends on the weight of the dog for the anaesthetic. I got a 18kg lab x sprayed and cost me €150 in county Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

€150 for my Spitz a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Anywhere outside od Dublin or county is usually 70 euro. Worth the travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

€160 is about right for a neuter, you could ring around to see if anyone near you do it for a cheaper price. Just be sure to ask what is included (after care etc.) in the price that is quoted to you. Prices all depend on the size/weight of your dog and gender (females are more expensive than males).

If you are on social welfare you can apply for a Dogs Trust voucher to get it done for only €20, but these are hard to come by and not all vets are part of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I was quoted 170 to get two spaniel crosses neutered in Carlow. Didn't think it was too bad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Sorry, I should have mentioned the size/breed.

He's a Border Collie x Japanese Spitz.

Probably no bigger than a Beagle.

dogs002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Neutering price is usually related to weight so weigh your dog and then ring around for quotes. I paid €150 for a 10kg dog in Kildare a few years ago. I had paid less in another clinic to have my heavier female spayed but I wasn't happy about the op or the aftercare so I found a vet that I could trust for the next one. Cheapest is not always the best when it comes to neutering but having said that it's a lot less invasive surgery for a male and less to worry about.

http://www.stfrancis.ie/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

That seems pretty normal, maybe a bit expensive since it's a male though, which is way easier than spaying a female. But it's reasonable when you think of the anaesthetic cost and other drugs and all the time it takes including knocking the dog out and it recovering and that a few people might be looking after the dog, not just the vet. It's better than going to a cheaper place that might not be as good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement