Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTW - Dept of Education

Options
  • 01-03-2011 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭

OH is getting a bike through the depts BTW scheme, we put an application in on the 4th Jan and on the 15th of Feb got a letter to say that payment would be made to the shop in 10 working days (now expired)! Deduction from the salary commenced on the 17th Feb, was today told that it will be a further two weeks before payment is made to the retailer.

Never expected a quick turn around, but this is amazing and I am wondering if anyone has had similar problems with the dept or with another employer. In particular Im wondering if there is any wrong doing given the fact that the employer has started deduction but has not released the payment.

Any feedback or 2 cents appreciated. Also has anyone changed there supplier after payment / cheques have been made or at the stage im at now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

funkyjebus wrote: »
    OH is getting a bike through the depts BTW scheme, we put an application in on the 4th Jan and on the 15th of Feb got a letter to say that payment would be made to the shop in 10 working days (now expired)! Deduction from the salary commenced on the 17th Feb, was today told that it will be a further two weeks before payment is made to the retailer.

Never expected a quick turn around, but this is amazing and I am wondering if anyone has had similar problems with the dept or with another employer. In particular Im wondering if there is any wrong doing given the fact that the employer has started deduction but has not released the payment.

Any feedback or 2 cents appreciated. Also has anyone changed there supplier after payment / cheques have been made or at the stage im at now.

As with everything it seems the Civil service do, their Bike To Work Scheme is the most inefficient, over complicated pain in the ass to deal with. What the hell is wrong with giving you a cheque??
    I had one customer who I quoted in the summer come back in october for the bike as it took 8 weeks to get it through. Absoloute joke, compare that to some companies who will have a cheque within 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Mine was sorted in 2 days. Went to the bike shop, picked a bike. Brought a receipt into work and they issued a cheque there and then. Went back to the shop the next day with the cheque and cycled home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Mine was sorted in 2 days. Went to the bike shop, picked a bike. Brought a receipt into work and they issued a cheque there and then. Went back to the shop the next day with the cheque and cycled home!

As was mine (with a private company), but that isn't the way the Dept do it, they like a more backarsed solution.

They don't even give you a number to call, emailed them twice between application and recieving the letter, still awaiting responce.

But thanks for rubbing it in that you have an efficient employer:p.

Anyone have any opinions on the deduction without payment. Right now I'd say the Department has a lot of employees deductions (as everyone had to apply by a common date), but have paid no one, that doesn't seem right or possibly even legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The Dep of Ed did them all en bloc there a week or so ago. My Dad applied before christmas. His salary has been garnised, but it'll be next week I think before the shop get credited with the money.

It's not a "problem", it's just the way they're doing it. Hang in there another couple of days and then you can spend spend spend! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

And it has to be from an "approved" cycle shop. Halfords!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

studiorat wrote: »

Most bike shops are approved not just Halfords

www.chaindrivencycles.com

My supplier is not the problem here and there are many, many more approved suppliers than just Halfords.

fat bloke wrote: »
    The Dep of Ed did them all en bloc there a week or so ago. My Dad applied before christmas. His salary has been garnised, but it'll be next week I think before the shop get credited with the money.

It's not a "problem", it's just the way they're doing it. Hang in there another couple of days and then you can spend spend spend! :)

See my problem is I don't believe for one second that the money will be in the suppliers account in two weeks, or as our father may have been told one week. Your father is probably going on the info sent in the letter by the Dept, which it seems is now erroneous.

In addition we have having issues with the supplier (which I wont go into just now) and would like to enquire about changing, but it seems we cant as they are uncontactable.

I firmly believe its is a "problem" in the way they do it.:D

But hey, I'll happily eat my words for the money to be in there in a couple of days as we now approach 100 days since the application:eek:!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Well you'd want to get in contact with that supplier toute de suite, cos in a weeks time your cash will be in his account, if it's not there already!

I was on to my supplier and he got the same notification of imminent funds

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I asked in work about the scheme, told to go off and pick my bike. Headed back to them with a quote and had a cheque that day. Sometimes working in a small business has its advantages. :D

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    Well you'd want to get in contact with that supplier toute de suite, cos in a weeks time your cash will be in his account, if it's not there already!

I was on to my supplier and he got the same notification of imminent funds

I was talking to them today and they said they got a phone call last friday to say it would in in tow weeks, is that what your supplier said as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

I sent my receipts in to garda hq and cycleways were paid within a week and I had my bike 3 days after payment, deductions started a week later

paddyduc wrote: »
    Most bike shops are approved not just Halfords

www.chaindrivencycles.com

Bottecchia! They look like something a little different they seem pretty good value too, are they?
    Re: The CTWS I got six shops available I don't know one of them.

Not for me I'm afraid. I got six shops available I don't know one of them.

Not if you are going through the Department of Education

Here is the full supplier list http://www.opw.ie/en/media/Bicycle%20Suppliers.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

kona wrote: »
    As with everything it seems the Civil service do, their Bike To Work Scheme is the most inefficient, over complicated pain in the ass to deal with. What the hell is wrong with giving you a cheque??
    I had one customer who I quoted in the summer come back in october for the bike as it took 8 weeks to get it through. Absoloute joke, compare that to some companies who will have a cheque within 3 days.

Not entirely true......

I work in the civil service and it took less than 5 days from me saying "bike please" to having it under my arse. And that was for a bike bought outside the state.

Others in our place get their bikes within a week and it would take considerably less except a lot (not all) of the shops which they choose to get the bikes from won't take a corporate credit card, can't handle a BACS payment and insist on waiting for the cheque to clear (which considering its a government cheque is probably a good idea:))

Similar story in my wife's place (public rather than civil service) - payment was approved in a couple of days - trying to find a way to get the money from the employer to bike shop was the sticking point. short of a bag of used small denomination notes, it seems many places are not equipped to deal effectively with electronic payments.

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Not if you are going through the Department of Education

Here is the full supplier list http://www.opw.ie/en/media/Bicycle%20Suppliers.pdf

Going through the college itself. I guess it's different, we just got the circular through the email on Monday.

Advertisement