Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foster Dog

Options
  • 01-03-2011 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Well we got our foster dog on Saturday, she is very sweet, gets on with our dog and all was fine Sat & Sun, yesterday morning she started barking about 7am, I figured she wanted to toilet so I waited till she stopped and went down, took them out etc etc. All day yesterday she was a bit more anxious than the previous 2 days, no reason I can tell, we walked 4 miles in the morning, 2 miles in the afternoon, played in the field behind our house, were outside mooching around the garden as it was such a lovely day. So last night at bedtime, she absolutely barked and howled the place down, did it for an hour about midnight, just after going to bed, then stopped for a few hours, then started up again around 6am for what seemed like ages, then quiet, then started again just as I was getting up about 7.30, I sat on the stairs waiting for her to stop but husband was like 'for the love of God make it stop' so I had to go in in a break in the barking if you know what I mean, rather than making it stop altogether. Took them both out for toilet and now she is fast asleep with my dog on his bed.

So I'm wondering, I've been crating her at night but she seems to like being with my dog on his bed, should I just let her sleep with him on his bed. My worries are the cat is in the kitchen as well and she is showing a lot of interest in the cat but the cat isn't impressed and I don't want a fight to break out when I'm in bed. Also she is dominating my dog a bit, he is a total wuss and won't even get on his bed if the cat is on it because she's the boss of him, he will let any animal boss him around, so I don't want foster dog to push him off his bed and he ends up sleeping on the floor. Husband has suggested taking her bed out of the crate and putting it next to our dogs so we could do that. My other worry is chewing, she hasn't chewed so far but that's because she hasn't had a chance.

Any thoughts? Should I keep crating her and sit through the howling and barking for as long as it continues or should I let her sleep with/next to my dog in the hope of a bit of peace? I'm not even sure this would bring peace because it seems to be me she is already attached to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

hmm 64 views and no advice....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

well you do only have her for a few days I suppose. If it were me I would stick to the crate. I think if you give in now she will figure that all she needs is to kick up a stink and she can get her own way
    can she see your other dog?
    What age is she? ie does she need to go out to the toilet in the middle of the night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

How old is the foster dog? Is she neutered?/is your male neutered?
    (just wondering from the POV of leaving her alone with a male)

If you found you were able to leave her bed beside your dogs bed for the night, but you're still worried about the cat I'd see if you could put the cat in another room, if the foster dog is very interested & your cat isn't, then it's not fair to stress the cat out.

The reason why she may have started barking early could be she's hearing things that early (it being a Monday, and it was quiet on the Sunday morning) or she still could be settling into your place. Again her age may play a part in it if she's still young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Is she just in the crate at night? Maybe try putting her into it during the day or if you are going our, or putting a blanket over it to make it dark.

If it's just she wants to be in the kitchen with other dog, I'd just move the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks for the replies peeps

Yes she is spayed and my lad is neutered, she is only in the crate at night basically not to stress out the cat and to avoid potential chewing (after reading EGARs post especially!!), she can see our doggie from her crate he's practially next to her she is about 2 years so doesn't need to go out during the night I don't think.

I think it is just a settling in thing, last night she was quiet all night until about 7.20 which is fine because I'd be up at 7.30 anyways, she wanted to toilet and then wolfed down her brekkie, also I took her for a third walk about 8pm and we did 2 miles, so yesterday we walked 7 miles altogether, plus we took her out last thing quite late (for me!) at 11.45pm (well, hubby did I was in bed!)

The cat seems to be getting a lot better with her, she's stopped growling at her and is walking round the kitchen more, she loves our own dog so hopefully she will accept new dog over time.

I am optimistic after a few weeks she will have settled in and 'teething problems' will cease, I think yesterday I was a bit sleep deprived and couldn't think straight!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Yes she is spayed and my lad is neutered, she is only in the crate at night basically not to stress out the cat and to avoid potential chewing (after reading EGARs post especially!!), she can see our doggie from her crate

The dog in EGARs case WAS crated :eek:

I'd start crating her during the day. Just while she is eating etc. It should encourage her to learn that the crate is not just for sleeping in, it's also for relaxing in during the day. Maybe she wont be as inclined to want out as soon as she wakes in the morning then. I'd also recommend covering her crate. Visual stimulation can set them off and if she can see your boy happily snoozing in the morning, it probably gives her great satisfaction waking him up! The cover will encourage her to sleep a bit longer in the morning, prevent drafts and create a nice little "cave" for her. Start doing this during the day too, my crates are always covered with the door holding up enough of the cover to allow them in and out.

she is about 2 years so doesn't need to go out during the night I don't think.
    If she had been outdoor previously, and could go whenever she wanted, she may not have built up enough bladder control.

I think it is just a settling in thing, last night she was quiet all night until about 7.20 which is fine because I'd be up at 7.30 anyways, she wanted to toilet and then wolfed down her brekkie, also I took her for a third walk about 8pm and we did 2 miles, so yesterday we walked 7 miles altogether, plus we took her out last thing quite late (for me!) at 11.45pm (well, hubby did I was in bed!)

The cat seems to be getting a lot better with her, she's stopped growling at her and is walking round the kitchen more, she loves our own dog so hopefully she will accept new dog over time.

I am optimistic after a few weeks she will have settled in and 'teething problems' will cease, I think yesterday I was a bit sleep deprived and couldn't think straight!!

Best of luck with the rest of it! Do you have pics?

Advertisement