Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weddings outside ireland

Options
  • 01-03-2011 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I wanted to get married in Ireland as both me and my partner are Irish, however, I lived and got married in the uk to a Yugoslavian many years ago, and got an English divorce, but I had moved back here before the decree absolute came through.
    heres the problem.............
    Because I was no longer residing in the UK (by just a few weeks) when the divorce came through, the law now wants me to contact my ex husband and get him to sigh a sworn affidavit, stating he was residing in the UK at the time of the divorce, and how long he has lived there and if he intends to live there still.(we split up after 9 years,that was 14 years ago and are now divorced 11 years)
    I do not want to contact my ex husband, I left for a very good reason, so dont want to draw him back into my life!!
    Ive been to a solicitor and my two options are 1. as above or 2. try to get the Irish law to recognise my english divorce through the courts, which will take min.6 months and cost 4.500 euros!! and my ex will still be notified!
    So, I though ok, ill get married in the UK, Glasgow, now I have to get a cert from the dept of foriegn affairs in Dublin stating that I am free to marry. However there is a form Ive got to fill in giving details of my previous marriage, dates times places residency at time of the divorce,etc..
    If I put down on the form that I had moved to Ireland before my divorce absolute came through, will I be back in the same situation as above, needing to contact my ex??
    If I said I still resided in the UK at the time the divorce came through (it was only a coupe weeks in the difference), would the DFA find out and would I get into trouble?
    I am very happy with my fiance, all we want is to get married.
    The Irish law is a joke, makes me sooooo angry and confused.
    Anyone with any advice or help?
    Before I go insane.
    Thank you!!

Comments

Advertisement