Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Y2J on dancing with the stars

Options
  • 28-02-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

WWE star Chris Jericho is locked in for the next season of "Dancing with the Stars" ... along with Kirstie Alley, rapper Lil' Romeo, and Kendra Wilkinson ... TMZ has learned.

0228-dwts-ex-tmz-02.jpg

So far 6 of the 11 celebrities who will appear on the show as well as their partners -- check it out:

-- Chris Jericho & Cheryl Burke
    -- Lil' Romeo & Chelsie Hightower
    -- Kendra Wilkinson & Louis van Amstel
    -- Kirstie Alley & Maksim Chmerkovskiy
    -- Wendy Williams & Tony Dovolani
    -- Disney star Chelsea Kane & Mark Ballas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,484 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wow didnt think this would be for Jericho :eek:

Cheryl Burke has won a few times so if he can dance who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

What a collection of Z list celebs that is.I read rumours Jericho was doing this but I was hoping he wouldn't for his own sake.Best leave this out of your next book Jericho.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Good for him. The more work he gets outside WWE the better for him. Gotta start somewhere (see you on Celebrity Big Brother :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

What is Chris at at all?
    Is he trying to get recognised by the general public in a role outside wrestling?
    Then why doesnt he try for a part in a movie or something, his bit in macgruber was actually quite good.

I'd like to know how he has gone from Wrestler to Rock star to Gameshow host to Reality TV series participant.
    Its nearly like reverse-Miz!

CMpunked wrote: »

lol, he's always trying to get work outside wrestling. He does audition but he's not a good actor! He was in Albino Farm playing a backwater redneck....:p Also in some made-for-tv movie on the sci-fi channel playing a robot

I dunno why he's not in any WWE films. imo they should just get the most over stars in movies. they're the only ones that'll draw anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sliotor

yeah if this is true, i cant believe he is doing this.
    He does not need to do this he is an accomplished wrestler, singer and has written two brilliant books. WTF!!!

Not only will this hurt him in wrestling but fozzy fans will loose respect for him after this and the payout is nothing he is not going to get movie roles or taken seriously in Hollywood as a wrestler which is already hard enough sell and add been on a dance show to that.

Bad move Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I wouldn't say Jericho would be stupid enough to sign up for a WWE movie unless he was seriously stuck financially,which he isn't.

This is actually a good move for Chris I think,a crapload of mainstream publicity,if he gets a chance to talk and be himself it could turn out pretty well for him,probably why he's been holding off signing with Vince again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

CMpunked wrote: »
    I'd like to know how he has gone from Wrestler to Rock star to Gameshow host to Reality TV series participant.

He was also on 'Celebrity Duets' five years ago, turned out to be an epic fail as he was the first one eliminated.

Wasn't Stacy Keibler on Dancing with the Stars a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

Y2J reckons in his new book that on celebrity duets 1)he was eliminated in a week public didn't vote & 2) that one of the judges told him after he wasn't their first choice to eliminate but producers didn't want 5 guys and 2 girls,

Stacey did very well out of that show 2nd or 3rd i think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

sliotor wrote: »
    Not only will this hurt him in wrestling

No it wont, he has the talent, and skills both in the ring and on the mic, this show will give him mainstream publicity and wont affect his wrestling career in the slightest!
    sliotor wrote: »
    but fozzy fans will loose respect for him after this

Not going to happen either, sebastian bach has been on don't forget the lyrics
    and celebrity duets and that didnt affect his rock credibiity, itll be the exact same with Fozzy - the mainstream media will be far more of a help than a hindrence!

Fozzy are playing Sonisphere this year so no respect will be lost!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I'm glad he's doing it and I think he might do well. Sportsmen tend to do well in these competitions, and he's already proven himself to be versatile with his music and tv presenting. Maybe he'll work the Walls of Jericho into a routine!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is this televised over here? I think RTE showed a series once and it was on Living once too I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

A little off topic here but this seems interesting,
    Jericho and Batista on a Wrestlemania 27 poster

http://www.cineplex.com/Movies/MovieDetails/WWE-WrestleMania-XXVII-2011.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

A little off topic here but this seems interesting,
    Jericho and Batista on a Wrestlemania 27 poster

http://www.cineplex.com/Movies/MovieDetails/WWE-WrestleMania-XXVII-2011.aspx

That's strange! It's either a really old poster, or the cinema just made it themselves without knowing that Jericho and Batista have left.

Or maybe they thought that the picture is so small, they can get away with passing them off as Jack Swagger and Mason Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,038 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

jmolloy wrote: »
    Y2J reckons in his new book that on celebrity duets 1)he was eliminated in a week public didn't vote & 2) that one of the judges told him after he wasn't their first choice to eliminate but producers didn't want 5 guys and 2 girls,

Stacey did very well out of that show 2nd or 3rd i think

It also made her more famous and got her tv roles

Is this televised over here? I think RTE showed a series once and it was on Living once too I think?

I used watch it on RTE 2 sometimes and Watch Channel on sky also shows it pretty much about 2 weeks after it starts in the US

The other contestants are:-

Sugar Ray Leonard
    Chelsea Kane
    Romeo (formerly Lil' Romeo)
    Ralph Macchio
    Petra Nemcova
    Kendra Wilkinson
    Hines Ward
    Mike Catherwood
    Wendy Williams
    Kirstie Alley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Screw Jericho, Petra Nemcova is the reason to watch this show!

petra-nemcova-london-fashion-week-2007-pre-fashion-show-party-for-julian-macdonald-9ZrVUM.jpg

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Dancing-Chris-Jericho-1030810.aspx

Don't be alarmed if there's a lot of scolding in Chris Jericho and Cheryl Burke's Dancing with the Stars rehearsal packages. The wrestler wants to get an earful. "Some people might be offended [to be yelled at], but to me, it's not offensive to be talked to that way," he tells TVGuide.com. "That's the only way to get better — and I need to get better quickly." That does not mean he and Burke are not getting along. See what else Jericho has to say about their partnership and why he's down for a Solid Gold routine.
    Why'd you decide to do the show? Have you been approached before?
    Chris Jericho:
    This was the third time actually. I was approached for Season 10, then 11, then now for 12. The first time, you know, professionally, you say, "Oh, my schedule's too busy right now." But personally, you say, "Wow, I don't know if I could do that. It's a big commitment." The second time, I said, "This could be pretty cool." The third time, I was like, "I'm going to do it for sure." Now's the time. You've got to be 100 percent mentally and physically committed. I wanted to make sure I had nothing else going on and kept everything wide open so I could focus my whole effort on this show.

What's harder: dancing or wrestling?
    Jericho:
    I]Laughs[/I Well, I have no dance experience at all. It's funny because when there are a lot of things about them that are similar. There's a lot of leverage and weight distribution and balance. Then there's performing in front of a live crowd, your marks, choreography and as a musician, following the beat. It's not that foreign as it seems at first. The training's really hard. It's probably the hardest training I've ever done, but it's not futile. ... There are moves in dancing that I've never done before — you're turning your knee outwards, your elbow on the side. And hunching over — dancing's very elongated, very regal. Your neck stretches, your shoulders are down. So I'm focusing on getting rid of those bad habits.

How are rehearsals going?
    Jericho:
    Good. The choreography is not that bad because it's like putting together a wrestling match. ... I'm good friends with Stacy Keibler, who did the show in Season 2, I believe, and she said it's super-hard. Now I understand. It's so easy to downplay dancing ... but when you get into it and understand what it takes to be good at it, it's very, very difficult. But it's also a lot of fun.

Athletes have fared well on this show. Do you feel pressure to keep the streak going?
    Jericho:
    I]Laughs[/I Not really, but yeah, they've done well! They've been Super Bowl champions or gold medal champions. You can see why because you need a lot of mental strength to do this. I think another advantage athletes and musicians have is experience performing live in front of a studio audience. I'm an athlete, but I'm also an entertainer. Wrestling is show business and I've always treated it that way, so when you're not a live entertainer, it's a whole different world to not be scared of that. In the WWE, things can change last minute and the show must go on.

So you're not nervous for the first week?
    Jericho:
    Nah. But that first week is very important because ... there's no elimination, so it's also about who's got the best personality, who's connecting with the fans. That's show business — connecting with the crowd. A lot of people have no idea who Chris Jericho is. I've got millions of fans worldwide, but there are millions of people watching who will be like, "Who's this wrestling guy?" And they might have a certain perception of what it is I'm going to be acting like and I'm pretty much the opposite of what they'd expect. So I think people will see that and it will be an eye-opener the first week to see "Who are these people?"

I hear you call Cheryl the Dancing Yoda.
    Jericho:
    Yes, she's a master in teaching! She doesn't mess around. There's no ego-stroking. There's no shameless pandering, but I don't need that. I need to know what I'm doing wrong. She's a great coach. I love working with her. We gave ourselves a name: Team Chericho. And all of our fans are the Chericho-holics. And you've got to have chemistry with your partner. It's such a sensual type of art, you have to be locked in and be vibed in with your partner.

People always say they won't, but they usually end up doing a dance incorporating their career or best-known role, so will we see a wrestling-themed dance?
    Jericho:
    I]Laughs[/I I don't think you can incorporate any wrestling moves, at least right now. If we get to the freestyle, I think there will be a bunch of cool things I can do, like lifts and stuff. ... My mother passed away in 2005 and was a big dance fan. She loved Solid Gold. She was always like, "I wish I became a Solid Gold dancer." She always respected and was proud of me, but she wasn't a die-hard wrestling fan. So this is a tribute to her. I know this is the one thing in my career that she really would be flipping out for. She would want to see every minute. That gives me a little bit more of a drive too. I'd really like to do well for my mom.

Well, you could do Solid Gold for TV theme week.
    Jericho:
    Maybe! I could pull out the yellow satin pants, open shirt with the huge medallion. We won't even do a dance; we'll just stand there and air out my chest! It'd be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Bit off topic, but i never knew his mum died. :(

http://www.wwe.com/inside/overtheropes/news/jerichodancingstars

He’s the first-ever Undisputed Champion, an accomplished rock star and a New York Times best-selling author. But on Monday, Chris Jericho begins his quest to dominate the dance floor when he makes his debut on ABC’s Dancing with the Stars.
    Amidst Jericho’s recent war of words on Twitter with WWE Champion The Miz – during which they criticized one another’s questionable grooming and wardrobe choices throughout the years – WWE.com’s Joey Styles caught up with “the best in the world at what he does” to talk about his dance training with DWTS partner Cheryl Burke, returning to WWE and what he really thinks of The Awesome One.
    WWE.com: What made you decide to go on DWTS?

Jericho: This was the third time they gave me the opportunity. Last year they gave me the full-court press, but it was WrestleMania time and as anyone in WWE can tell you, WrestleMania is all consuming. They asked me again in September but I was about to tour Europe with Fozzy. I couldn’t turn them down this time.
    I really want to show the Hollywood elites that WWE Superstars are the most entertaining and charismatic people on the planet. The Hollywood elites play down the influence of WWE and the WWE Universe. They are very misinformed and snobbish toward WWE, the WWE Superstars and the WWE Universe and I want to change that for all of us.

WWE.com: Do you have any dancing experience?

Jericho: Who does have ballroom dancing experience? I]laughing[/I I have rhythm from being a singer, balance and leverage from wrestling and experience performing in front of a live audience from being a WWE Superstar.

WWE.com: What is training for DWTS like?

Jericho: Training for DWTS is the hardest training I’ve ever done. Dancing is eight hours a day of yoga, aerobics and calisthenics. Training for DWTS is very similar to my early wrestling training. You have to use balance and leverage in both dancing and wrestling. You need the drive to work hard and be the best you can. Maybe most importantly, you have to entertain everyone in the audience, all the way to the very last row. If you are competing at WrestleMania in front of over 70,000 people at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, you can’t just entertain the fans in the first row. You have to entertain everybody.

WWE.com: Tell us about your partner, Cheryl Burke.
    Jericho: Cheryl is the Yoda of DWTS because she’s the best teacher they’ve ever had. Cheryl is also the Shawn Michaels of DWTS because she is the best dancer they’ve ever had and makes everyone she’s performing with look their best, maybe even better than they really are. She’s got a great personality for a teacher. She doesn’t stroke my ego and doesn’t tell me what I want to hear. She pushes me. Dancing is her world and having her as a partner is a huge asset. We are “Team Chericho” and we are going to win DWTS for all of the Cherichoholics.

WWE.com: Are we ever going to see you back in WWE?

Jericho: One of the reasons I’m not in WWE now is DWTS. You have to be 100 percent physically and mentally devoted to one or the other. You can’t do both. I’m sure I’ll be back. I have to return to WWE to take my persona back. I watched Raw on Monday and felt like I was having an out of body experience. I was watching myself on live TV! Then I realized I hadn’t gotten that ugly and become that bad of a wrestler and realized I was actually watching the current WWE Champion, The Miz.

• Advertisement

On tonight's edition of Dancing with the Stars, former WWE star Chris Jericho and his partner Cheryl Burke danced "The Jive."
    Following the dance, Jericho received rave reviews from all three judges, who felt he did a great job. Jericho threw in a couple jokes and asked one of the judges if his "chesticles" looked good.
    Jericho and Burke scored a 23 out of 30. Combined with last week's score, the team has a total of 42 out of 60 points overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,038 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Thats last week Liz

This weeks dance

http://twitter.com/iamjericho#

Chris Jericho was in the final two before talk show host Wendy Williams was eliminated from the "Dancing with the Stars" competition. "Wow, what a mindfunk," Jericho wrote. "But like Tom (a judge) said, it's the final two, not the bottom two. Don't forget that every vote counts...

"Big false finish on DWTS tonight, but I kicked out at two and a half! Ready for the big babyface comeback next week."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

he's really good.

i kinda thought of most wrestlers he'd be able to apply his ability across - he looks to be in better shape than he was at the end of his last wwe run - dancing is supposed to be like a mad intense cardio so maybe thats it.

i hope he wins the whole thing - then i can tell my sister i told you so. :)

ayatollah wrote: »
    he's really good.

i kinda thought of most wrestlers he'd be able to apply his ability across - he looks to be in better shape than he was at the end of his last wwe run - dancing is supposed to be like a mad intense cardio so maybe thats it.

i hope he wins the whole thing - then i can tell my sister i told you so. :)

Sorry to say but I hope he dont win because he could be on to bigger things and I prefer him to return to WWE

damnit liz i have to prove my sister wrong!!!! :p

he seems to be enjoying it and he always seems to come back with a vengeance when he comes back from his breaks.

as much as i want him to win it - the fact that he was almost eliminated makes me think that he won't plus i dont know if many american wwe fans are tuning in to it.

• Advertisement

I don't care for when paparazzi's lurk outside places and force impromtu interviews. Have I just aged 20 years?

Advertisement