Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 60d Opinions?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 8:31pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Alright guys, i've decided to upgrade my Canon 350d. I've had it a good few years at this stage and it's served me well. The main draw back of it, is tiny screen size, and i just want an upgrade.

The 60d seems to fit the bill as far as specs are concerned. 18 million pixels, and 1080p video recording seem very impressive. Does anyone have experience with it?

I have a few Canon lenses, so i'll be sticking with Canon.

Cheers,

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

How's it going mate? It's funny, I made the exact same switch myself at Christmas. The 350D served me very well and owed me nothing, but the 60D is a whole other animal. When it came to justifying the upgrade, I convinced myself that I needed more pixels, a higher FPS count, better noise handling, etc etc. To be honest, it never really occurred to me that I'd be buying four generations worth of improvements to image processing and dynamic range, but that's been the biggest difference so far. Everything seems tighter right off the camera. You get all the other stuff too of course, and with it a lot more flexibility, but fundamentally, it's a better processor.

If you were using the 350D without any kind of battery grip, you'll also find it a lot fuller in the hand. The tilting LCD screen is also a very nice touch. Just keep in mind you'll need to replace your CF cards for SD cards.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I made the upgrade from a 350D to a 7D. The change is definitely worth it. I absolutely loved my 350D but I simply cannot use it now. The amazing viewfinder of the 7D alone makes the poor 350D seem dull and small. Plus I get to keep my CF cards!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

TelePaul wrote: »
    How's it going mate? It's funny, I made the exact same switch myself at Christmas. The 350D served me very well and owed me nothing, but the 60D is a whole other animal. When it came to justifying the upgrade, I convinced myself that I needed more pixels, a higher FPS count, better noise handling, etc etc. To be honest, it never really occurred to me that I'd be buying four generations worth of improvements to image processing and dynamic range, but that's been the biggest difference so far. Everything seems tighter right off the camera. You get all the other stuff too of course, and with it a lot more flexibility, but fundamentally, it's a better processor.

If you were using the 350D without any kind of battery grip, you'll also find it a lot fuller in the hand. The tilting LCD screen is also a very nice touch. Just keep in mind you'll need to replace your CF cards for SD cards.

Awesome man. Thanks for the response.

I'm currently using a battery grip with my 350d, so i'm used to having something a bit on the chunky side in my hands. I much prefer the size of it with the grip than without.

Obviously the better image quality was another big point for the upgrade, especially the noise handling. I really wasn't sure what to expect in regard to the the difference in quality, as i've gotten some fantastic shots with the 350d. The way it handled noise beyond 400iso was always something that bugged me.

I have three or four 8Gb SD HC cards already, and being honest, i was able to cram so many pics onto a 4Gb CF card with only 8 mega pixels i only ever needed 3 of them at the absolute max. I already intend on getting a couple of 16GB SDHC fast cards.

25MB raw files will eat up space quickly!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

5uspect wrote: »
    25MB raw files will eat up space quickly!

Hahaha....jaysis! a few 16GB class 10 cards it is!

• Advertisement

i'm used to having something a bit on the chunky side in my hands.

Yeah, so is my girlfriend (hold for applause)
    Obviously the better image quality was another big point for the upgrade, especially the noise handling. I really wasn't sure what to expect in regard to the the difference in quality, as i've gotten some fantastic shots with the 350d. The way it handled noise beyond 400iso was always something that bugged me.

I'm not hugely technically inclined, so it's hard for me to quantify the improvement in image quality. I know 90% of it is still derived from the glass, but I think the colour reproduction and tonal range have been improved upon. And as I said, I think it handles highlights a little better. But yeah, for sure, the 350D was a work-horse! Also never pushed it passed ISO 400 if I could help it.

Cheers for the responses lads! I'm pretty much sold. Now i want to have it right now! It'll be a few weeks at least before i take the plunge.

TelePaul; did you get a kit lens with your 60d? I have a good 28-135mm lens as my primary lens at the mo, but if the kit lens is any use i might pay a bit extra to get that, as it's wider than what i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

There's a whole thread dedicated to buying new cameras and opinions on makes/models, top of the page. But yeah, 60D looks alright. Lots of bells and whisltes, but I've seen that it handles high ISO levels quite nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

I got the 60D a few weeks ago, upgrading from the 450D, and so far I think its great particularly with high ISO. Here's an album of handheld night shots at iso up to 6400: http://pix.ie/lechesolara/album/401491

There's a whole thread dedicated to buying new cameras and opinions on makes/models, top of the page.

Crap...i did a search and everything!
    But yeah, 60D looks alright. Lots of bells and whisltes, but I've seen that it handles high ISO levels quite nicely.

Awesome.
    I got the 60D a few weeks ago, upgrading from the 450D, and so far I think its great particularly with high ISO. Here's an album of handheld night shots at iso up to 6400: http://pix.ie/lechesolara/album/401491

Awesome shots man.

• Advertisement

Also the noise reduction algorithm in CS5 (and I guess Lightroom) is much improved over previous versions. So you can really push the ISO without too much fear.

Also I notice that the 7D, and by extension the 60D since it has the same sensor, has a lot less chroma noise than the 350D. There can be plenty of luminance noise but I don't find it too unappealing and due to the high pixel count.

Here is a shot at 3200, have a look at the original size:
    http://pix.ie/theusual5uspect/2194833/size/800

ISO 12800 is a noise fest but about the same as the 350D at 1600!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I still don't know what to make of the flippy screen. I would worry that it could get knocked out of commission.

Then again, it would be so handy for ground level shots, macros, video, candids, etc.

The image quality on the new Canons is insane.

Swivel screens are a bit of a gimmick IMO. I wonder how many people actually use them a lot? Sure, good for ground macro, but unless you do that a hell of a lot, there's no real bonus to having it. I thought I'd use live view more when I got the D90, but I never do. Mostly because the focusing is so sluggish in LV that a snail would out run it, but even if it was quicker, I'd not be too bothered.

If you do a lot of video the swivel screen might be handy too, again, never use that function.

They've put the swivel screen on the 600D too. It seems like they're trying to add something novel. Can't see the point myself.

You need to turn out the swivel screen to play back photos and then when switching off you are advised to turn the LCD back in again to protect it. Another damn thing to remember, but not a deal breaker.

Swivel screens are a bit of a gimmick IMO. I wonder how many people actually use them a lot? Sure, good for ground macro, but unless you do that a hell of a lot, there's no real bonus to having it. I thought I'd use live view more when I got the D90, but I never do. Mostly because the focusing is so sluggish in LV that a snail would out run it, but even if it was quicker, I'd not be too bothered.

If you do a lot of video the swivel screen might be handy too, again, never use that function.

It functions fantastically as a means of protecting the LCD screen. Simple, but a nice touch.

TelePaul; did you get a kit lens with your 60d? I have a good 28-135mm lens as my primary lens at the mo, but if the kit lens is any use i might pay a bit extra to get that, as it's wider than what i have.

I avoided the kit lens to keep the cost under a grandington, and mostly use a 17-40L.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Hi, purchased the 60D and returned it within 3 weeks due to a known issue with the hotshoe not determining when a speedlite is on or off shoe. I now went that extra mile and got a 7D with 15-85mm USM lens and all i can say is compared to the 60D (which was nice) is wow!!! To me the 7D is a cropped 5D MKii and then some.

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Hi, purchased the 60D and returned it within 3 weeks due to a known issue with the hotshoe not determining when a speedlite is on or off shoe. I now went that extra mile and got a 7D with 15-85mm USM lens and all i can say is compared to the 60D (which was nice) is wow!!! To me the 7D is a cropped 5D MKii and then some.

Where did you guys buy your cameras? I'm looking at some sellers on ebay. I've bought plenty of stuff through ebay over the years, but this will be the most expensive so i'm slightly concerned!

It functions fantastically as a means of protecting the LCD screen. Simple, but a nice touch.

A cheap LCD cover does the same job.

• Advertisement

Where did you guys buy your cameras? I'm looking at some sellers on ebay. I've bought plenty of stuff through ebay over the years, but this will be the most expensive so i'm slightly concerned!

Bought mine at Conns as Gunns were out of stock.

Bought mine here:
    http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=11920&setcurrency=eur
    but it was €30 cheaper a month ago.

A cheap LCD cover does the same job.

I think I'd rather have the functionality out of the box. And it's not like the articulated LCD takes anything from the camera, so I'm not too sure why this is even an issue to be honest.

Bought mine here:
    http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=11920&setcurrency=eur
    but it was €30 cheaper a month ago.

That's a good price! I've just bookmarked them, i'd prefer to buy as close to home as possible. The ebay sellers are in the UK, but i'd prefer to buy in Irl
    I think I'd rather have the functionality out of the box. And it's not like the articulated LCD takes anything from the camera, so I'm not too sure why this is even an issue to be honest.

I'd agree tbh, the whole flippy screen malarkey doesn't phase me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Hi, purchased from Amazon and must say i would have no problem recommending to anyone, have heard mixed reviews of simplyelectronics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

John Gunn Camera Shop all the way.

It might be cheaper online but nothing beats going into that shop and getting a good deal and good honest friendly service with a smile. This comes from a reformed online purchaser, before you hit that return button, pop into Wexford St. and I can nearly guarantee you will want to spend your cash there.

mikka631 wrote: »
    John Gunn Camera Shop all the way.

It might be cheaper online but nothing beats going into that shop and getting a good deal and good honest friendly service with a smile. This comes from a reformed online purchaser, before you hit that return button, pop into Wexford St. and I can nearly guarantee you will want to spend your cash there.

I'll definitely pop in and have a look see. But if the price is far beyond what it is online i just can't afford to take that hit for the sake of a pleasant buying experience. So far it seems like i can get a 60D for between 750 and 850 online.

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Hi, purchased from Amazon and must say i would have no problem recommending to anyone, have heard mixed reviews of simplyelectronics!!

I have now bought 2 cameras, 2 lenses and a phone from simplyelectronics. They say they ship in 1-2 working days, but it actually takes about 10 to arrive. Frustrating, but they are shipped from Reading so there's no customs worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

829 euro. Holy moly.

• Advertisement

Apologies for dragging this thread back up again, but I just thought i'd say that I just ordered the camera from Amazon.co.uk. It came to 880 for the body only. Can't wait now!

Advertisement