Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Mini

Options
  • 28-02-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭

Can a Mac Mini be linked to a Power Book so that it uses the PB's display & keyboard ?. I noticed that, for example, that some studio programs allow a mini mac to run as a node to the main computer.

I love my old 17'' PB G4. It's perfect for 80% of my usage but sometimes I need a bit better performance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

You can control the mac mini using screen sharing (VNC) if that's any use?

Both macs must be networked for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

Discodog wrote: »
    Can a Mac Mini be linked to a Power Book so that it uses the PB's display & keyboard ?. I noticed that, for example, that some studio programs allow a mini mac to run as a node to the main computer.

I love my old 17'' PB G4. It's perfect for 80% of my usage but sometimes I need a bit better performance.

it seems you can, a quick google threw up this detailed description

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1661

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    it seems you can, a quick google threw up this detailed description

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1661

what you linked to is Target disk mode, this allows access to the hard drive, not what OP was looking for.

OP as Stainless_Steel said you could use VNC etc on Powerbook to control mac mini but not ideal for what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

I've used Teleport for this. Had some issues getting it running on my newest machine, but once set up it works beautifully.

Advertisement