Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humans Vs. Lions

Options
  • 28-02-2011 8:07pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭

Brilliant video. Really re-enforces the notion of what got us to the top of the food chain. Balls of Steel. Love the face on the lioness after the deed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

I misread deed as "dead" and expected one hell of a fight.

Still though, they got balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hmm I wonder if they'd of done it the dominant male was there? It's probably suicial though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

There was a Male there Diggin in, he Was one of the first to bolt.

There was a Male there Diggin in, he Was one of the first to bolt.

I said dominant. Sure any decent male eats first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Thats one Male and 14 Females, If thats not dominant then :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Very interesting video, would love to see more interactions between humans and lions/wild predators such as this.

I often wonder how a lion or some such animal would perceive a human out in the wild since we would look very different to anything else, rival predators? Or prey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Hmm I wonder if they'd of done it the dominant male was there? It's probably suicial though.

Male Lions are lazy as feck. They only fight if their role is threatened. Its the Lionesses that actually do all the hunting. He just rides them, eats the food and sleeps :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭QuinnC88

Humans 1 Lions 0

Very cool video tough, not in hell would i attempt to do that

Pauleta wrote: »
    Male Lions are lazy as feck. They only fight if their role is threatened. Its the Lionesses that actually do all the hunting. He just rides them, eats the food and sleeps :cool:

But when it comes to food, he strolls in and no-one argues with him. If you dare approach the meat, he'll kill ye. Respect! Plus a dominant lion has a dark mane.

Anyway, it was impressive, what's next? Steal a cub from a tiger?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I said dominant. Sure any decent male eats first.
    there was a dominant male in there, you can tell by his full mane. Where there are 2 dominant males the primary will have a full mane but due to some weir chemical thing the secondary actually loses part of his mane.

All of the teenage males are driven from the pride and the male in that video is too big to be a teenage and his mane too big. Edit: a few juvenile males @ about 7 seconds.
    But when it comes to food, he strolls in and no-one argues with him. If you dare approach the meat, he'll kill ye. Respect! Plus a dominant lion has a dark mane.

Anyway, it was impressive, what's next? Steal a cub from a tiger?
    Someones been watching national geographic my friend ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Awesome video OP.
    I think I remember reading or being told that the darker a mane a male lion has is a representation of testosterone levels and how dominant they are. The males in that video were very blonde and there were several that looked juvenile/young adult and didn't seem at all capable of taking over a pride. Also immature adult males would be forced out of a pride before sexually maturing by the dominant male(s). I reckon the ones in the video were approaching that age.

It could be that the sun distorted their mane's natural colour or that they're a particular subspecies that has lighter coloured manes. I remember Dave Salmoni tried to ingratiate himself with wild lions before and the males had far darker manes. I can't find any youtube links of the show. Here's a link from ABC
    http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=8307636

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pauleta wrote: »
    The male lions job is a riding machine, once he can't keep up with demand he's ran from the pride. He's not all that dominant in the group at all really, the females keep in top condition by allowing him to eat first but once he loses a fight or can't do the deed he's surplus to requirements.

Advertisement