Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI - not covered

Options
  • 28-02-2011 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Greetings,

Had a break in my insurance coverage over the last 5 years. Just got a bill for €35k. I'm unemployed and can't get a loan.

What can I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Were you not aware of the break in your cover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Were you not aware of the break in your cover?

No. I wasn't aware of the full terms and conditions of insurance. I used to be on the company VHI scheme about 7 years ago. Renewed in March 2007. Think there was a couple of months.

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    No. I wasn't aware of the full terms and conditions of insurance. I used to be on the company VHI scheme about 7 years ago. Renewed in March 2007. Think there was a couple of months.

But if you've had cover since March '07 then surely you should be covered for any new conditions?

Unless they're getting you on the basis that it was treatment for a pre-existing condition, which existed since before March '07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Mr Magners wrote: »
    But if you've had cover since March '07 then surely you should be covered for any new conditions?

Unless they're getting you on the basis that it was treatment for a pre-existing condition, which existed since before March '07

There was no pre-existing condition. I'll have to ring them up and see.

If you've had an uninterrupted policy since March '07 I don't see how you're getting billed for treatment.

Unless you've received a balancing statement which details what the VHI have paid on your behalf to your place of treatment and you're reading that as a bill that you owe?

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Does your policy cover the treatment you received, or more specifically the hospital you received treatment in if it was one of the private ones?

Advertisement