Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st of march is here!!!

Options
  • 28-02-2011 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

finally its almost here, lough ree tomorrow, trolling....:D... been a long wait!!!

Comments

A Little ahead of yourself there.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

A Little ahead of yourself there.
    as i said, tomorrow! you know what i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

and a long term forecast for high pressure and mean or a little below temps up to Paddy's Day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

bayliner wrote: »
    finally its almost here, lough ree tomorrow, trolling....:D... been a long wait!!!

Hoorahh!!...happy days r here again.

got 2 small brownies yesterday,biggest just under 1lb 8oz water still very high, sunny day with little wind, but it was great to get up the lake all the same, roll on sunday!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

nice fish what did you get them on?
    got 2 small brownies yesterday,biggest just under 1lb 8oz water still very high, sunny day with little wind, but it was great to get up the lake all the same, roll on sunday!:D

both on lane minnows, the old types, which are impossible to get these days it seems!!! at least they are non existant in athlone,
    a lot of boats out last tues, no one fly-fishing that i seen,

http://www.johnlaneangling.com/ps/

Are these the orginal & is he still selling them?

premiercad wrote: »
    http://www.johnlaneangling.com/ps/

Are these the orginal & is he still selling them?
    no they are the new ones, and are rubbish where i fish at least, the old ones were hand painted and the colours were much much better, he is still selling those new ones, you can get those in scullys in athlone, i have one of each of them and never got anything on them!!!

ah the ould ones are always the best, met a man salmon fishing with minnows one day, made them all himself rolled a newspaper on a tube and painted and epoxy'd vanes, looked well and v cheap, said he caught loads on them ;)

• Advertisement

but he would have to say that wouldnt he :D:D:D
    he cant say " i made this myself, its ****e but its cheap" :D

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Most of the devons and lane minnows have no tail in their silhouette, althougn the treble hook looks somewhat like a tail.
    The Golden Sprat (an old salmon lure by Wadhams) which is a collectors item was far better in the tail department. I used to make my own.

Here is what they look like:
    140.jpg

I think it does make a difference to the number of takes you get particularly when the water is very clear.

coolwings wrote: »
    Most of the devons and lane minnows have no tail in their silhouette, althougn the treble hook looks somewhat like a tail.
    The Golden Sprat (an old salmon lure by Wadhams) which is a collectors item was far better in the tail department. I used to make my own.

Here is what they look like:
    140.jpg

I think it does make a difference to the number of takes you get particularly when the water is very clear.

like the look of them coolwings!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Tomfrancey

Well lads, was up the lake today myself for most of the day trawling but of coarse caught nothing again, as usual. I was using trout like rapala and a meps 2 but never got a bite, I don't know if I was using the wrong baits or in the wrong spots, I tried around all the Islands and the the spots every one else was trying but still got nothing.

Do you think it was the baits or just bad fishing, or bad luck or was there just not much of a take on today? I was thinking of going up again on sunday for the day do you think I should get some news baits before I go or just give it a try with what I have.

I landed at the bay to load the boat and a guy came in with a boat after me and he fished of the peer with fly rod for 20mins and cought 1 just as I was leaving, so I was just wondering would it be worth giving the wet fly ago on Sunday instead of the baits I have.

Cheers lads if any of ye can help me, as I am getting sick of going to that lake and coming home with nothing....

what lake are you on? or is that a state secret?:D,
    i noticed on ree last tues with all the boats fishing there werent many caught, and most were small from what i heard, minnows are good this time of yr, tazys are also catching, have heard a few fish taken on rapalas too, rainbow and perch rapala's.....your doin nothing wrong where your fishing, shallows mainly, but i usually mix it up if no luck in there, by all means go sunday i would say, "a bad days fishing is still better than a good days work" i always say:)

1 trout today.. 2lb 3oz, caught by my 11yr old daughter:D

1 trout today.. 2lb 3oz, caught by my 11yr old daughter:D

Well bayliner fair play to your daughter its good to see someone catching something, I didn't get to the lake (Ree) myself today went to the river suck trawling for pike, caught a few but nothing too big. Sounds promising for next week that there is a few trout being caught on the lake I defiantly be out next week mite go in to Sculley and get a few tazz baits for nxt sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I'd say you're fishing really shallow if you're trolling a mepps 2 unless if you're getting it down somehow?

shblob wrote: »
    I'd say you're fishing really shallow if you're trolling a mepps 2 unless if you're getting it down somehow?

Ya I only had it on in the shallows, just had it on for a while when we were in around the islands but used to try a fairly deep plug when out in the middle hoping for a big pike or trout but never got a bite on either.

• Advertisement

Tomfrancey wrote: »
    Well bayliner fair play to your daughter its good to see someone catching something, I didn't get to the lake (Ree) myself today went to the river suck trawling for pike, caught a few but nothing too big. Sounds promising for next week that there is a few trout being caught on the lake I defiantly be out next week mite go in to Sculley and get a few tazz baits for nxt sunday.
    black and gold tazy she got it on:D... 3 trout in 2 days isnt great though, couple o good fish caught yesterday, 2 over 5lb that i know of, never tried the suck, but must do it this yr, not workin at the mo so no excuse

black and gold tazy she got it on:D... 3 trout in 2 days isnt great though, couple o good fish caught yesterday, 2 over 5lb that i know of, never tried the suck, but must do it this yr, not workin at the mo so no excuse

Ya sound job will try and get a few black and gold ones during the week, 3 in two days mite not be good but it would do me for a start for me anyway as I never got a trout in that lake yet, plenty of pike and perch alright but no tout.

The suck is good I live near it so have always fished it, caught 6 pike on Sunday but nothing over 5 pound but that is usual for this time of year. There was a big crew from Dublin out on Sunday I think the biggest they caught was 8 pound. You should catch a good few trawling but the best is to dead bait on the bottom, thats where the monsters are...

its been a slow start to the season again, it was worse last yr, i dont know if its the harder winters or what but march used to be good fishing on ree.... not so over the last number of yrs, have heard of some perch caught over the last week, which is unheard off this time of year while trawling,

Advertisement