Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking Club Week 8: Parmesan Risotto With a Crunch

Options
  • 28-02-2011 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

I think this is a Jamie Oliver recipe but it's been a good while since i actually followed a recipe making it:

(Quantities given are for 2 People)

Ingredients For "The Crunch":
    About 1/8 of a ciabatta loaf or similar bread
    1 - 2 Birdseye chilies
    Zest of 1/2 a lemon
    3 - 4 Anchovy fillets
    2 Cloves of Garlic

Ingredients For The Risotto:
    1 Medium Onion
    2-3 Sticks Of Celery
    1 Clove Of Garlic
    150g Risotto Rice
    1 Glass White Wine
    Grated Parmesan Cheese (About 200g ish)
    1L of Good Chicken/Veg Stock
    Olive Oil
    Butter

Method "The Crunch":

(Depending who I’m cooking for the amount of chilies and anchovies can vary slightly so adjust to taste before frying, but all the flavors should be nicely balanced)

1:Take the stalk off the chilies and char over an open flame for a few seconds until slightly blackened.
    2: Chilies, Bread, Lemon zest, Anchovies (and oil from the tin), Garlic & a little olive oil all go into the food processor . Wizz them for a few seconds until you have breadcrumbs, season to taste.
    3: Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and fry off the breadcrumb mixture until nice and crispy. (Word of warning keep an eye on these as they start to crisp up, as I’ve found out there’s a fine line between crispy & burnt :D)
    4: Put in a bowel and leave to cool

Method Risotto:
    1: Finely dice the onion, garlic and celery
    2: Melt a good knob of butter & some olive oil in a large saucepan over a low heat
    3: Add diced veg and leave on a low heat for 12-15 minutes until softened but not colored
    4: In the meantime measure out you risotto rice about 75g per person
    5: Bring your stock to almost boiling point then turn down the heat so that it’s just simmering
    6: Once the veg is softened, turn up the heat and add the rice to the pan.
    7: Toast the rice for 1-2 minutes, you’re looking to heat up the rice but not color it
    8: Turn down the heat under the risotto too about midway and add your glass of wine. (From this point onwards you need to stand over your rice stirring gently all the time)
    9: When the rice has soaked up the wine you can start adding stock (only about a ladle a time)
    10: As each ladle of stock is being soaked up taste the rice, once it reaches a creamy consistency but with a slight bite stop adding stock.
    11: Turn off the heat, gently stir in most of the cheese, another knob of butter and cover the saucepan with a lid.
    12: Leave it to rest for a minute or two before serving.
    13: Too serve pile the risotto onto the center of a plate, scatter some parmesan cheese on top & place a generous helping of the crunchy breadcrumbs around the outside.
    14: Enjoy

I took photos when I made this last weekend but I’ve somehow managed to lose them, so apologies for the lack of pics.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Yeah \0/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

irishbird wrote: »
    Yeah \0/

Risotto isnt really that exciting? is it :D

This is gonna go down as the least successful week of cooking club 2011 :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm afraid there's no way I could cook something with anchovies and celery :/
    Any suggested alternatives for these two ingredients?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Post up some pictures - even if it's just the finished product!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Clohane wrote: »

Oh no, I should have posted, as I did make mushroom risotto this week, and added celery. I wanted to try the "crunch" bit too, but when I got home I realised my boyfriend had polished off the remaining bit of ciabatta for lunch :D

I'll try the "crunch" next time. The celery seems to need a bit more cooking, as it still had a lot of bite when the risotto was cooked, even though it was chopped small and added first thing. I might throw it in to the stock next time and see if it softens more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Not at all!

I'll probably try the risotto when I get a chance, but I hate chillis so I won't bother with the crunch :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Risotto isnt really that exciting? is it :D

It is to me, I never made it before!!! Gave this a go today and it was really nice, glad I learned how to make risotto. Think I left the crunch too long before eating it, or else didn't toast it enough, because it didn't really crunch. Was very tasty all the same though! Already planning a blue cheese version sometime in the future....

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Not made this yet, but I love the idea of the crunch - I'll definitely give it a go next time I make risotto. Faith, no need to avoid it - just leave the chillies out - I think the 'crunch' method could be adapted to all sorts of flavourings, depending on what type of risotto you're making, and I can imagine the texture makes a wonderful contrast to the creaminess of the risotto. I'll let you know when I've tried it (currently in exile in the UK, so away from my kitchen).

jw297 wrote: »
    It is to me, I never made it before!!! Gave this a go today and it was really nice, glad I learned how to make risotto. Think I left the crunch too long before eating it, or else didn't toast it enough, because it didn't really crunch. Was very tasty all the same though! Already planning a blue cheese version sometime in the future....

Glad you liked it, it took me about 3 or 4 goes before i got the crunch just right, over cook and its burnt and awful, under cook and there's no crunch.

• Advertisement

Darkginger wrote: »
    Not made this yet, but I love the idea of the crunch - I'll definitely give it a go next time I make risotto. Faith, no need to avoid it - just leave the chillies out - I think the 'crunch' method could be adapted to all sorts of flavourings, depending on what type of risotto you're making, and I can imagine the texture makes a wonderful contrast to the creaminess of the risotto. I'll let you know when I've tried it (currently in exile in the UK, so away from my kitchen).

Thats what i like about this recipe, Risotto on its own can be too creamy sometimes, especially a simple parmesan or blue cheese risotto but adding a bit of texture can give it a new twist.

Gonna try a lemon & herb "crunch" for next time (exact herbs TBC :D)

Also been toying with the idea of a Italian/Thai fusion dish, A creamy fresh prawn risotto with coriander and coconut milk, the heat & saltiness in the crunch. (This may be a disaster so i'm gonna try it when i'm cooking for myself some night :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

hey Im gonna give it a go, usually made mushroom risotto, so it will be nice for a change. (I love anchovies)

foodaholic wrote: »
    hey Im gonna give it a go, usually made mushroom risotto, so it will be nice for a change. (I love anchovies)

Enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just tried this...

Absolutely loved the crunch. Will get great use of it and think it will be excellent for breaded mussels etc.

I only used about half the cheese and still though it was overpowering the taste of the other ingredients - will cut back even more when I make it again. Also on the stock, I find that there's no need for more than 400ml for 150g of risotto rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

So finally got around to making this. Really liked the crunch - nice and spicy.
    OH loved the anchovies in it

8wy04w.jpg

foodaholic wrote: »
    So finally got around to making this. Really liked the crunch - nice and spicy.
    OH loved the anchovies in it

Glad you liked it (& thanks for putting up a pic) :D

I haven't made it since my original post so haven't had any pics to post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

We had this tonight and it was lovely. The "crunch" turned out nice too!

picture.php?albumid=1409&pictureid=9475

Advertisement