Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU Degree Grade

Options
  • 28-02-2011 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

Does anyone know if DCU marks your final degree grade as a average of all your years or if its just your final year results. For example if you need a 2.1 to do a master but you a third in first and second year and a 2.1 in your last year, is your degree a 2.1?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

Hi,

Does anyone know if DCU marks your final degree grade as a average of all your years or if its just your final year results. For example if you need a 2.1 to do a master but you a third in first and second year and a 2.1 in your last year, is your degree a 2.1?

usually only final year counts but some courses include the large project/thesis done in 3rd year and this will be worth 20% of final mark, it's course specific but generally final year only is what counts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mark1236541

Thanks Stringy,

Do you know for Bachelor of Business Studies if its just the final year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

It's totally course specific. That kind of information can be found in the programme regulations.

However it can be a bit confusing as some of them just say 'no programme specific rules', as far as I know, this means it's just your final year mark, but I would encourage you to contact the programme chair if you want to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Anyone know what the story is for AF?

As per my previous post, you could check the programme regulations, find that marks and standards apply and conclude that the marks for the final year of study apply, weighted by credits...

But, as always, the most reliable source is the programme chair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Does repeating a module have any effect on this?

Say you repeat a year two module, then go ahead and get a 2.1 in your final year is that your degree?

I know failing an exam in the final year scuppers you but does it in the other years?

Please don't take my word for this, please just send an e-mail to your programme chair, and maybe cc your convenor and/or class rep and tell all of them it's a disgrace this information is not easy to find...

As far as I know, if the module does contribute to your final year mark, it will contribute 40%, regardless of what mark you got in the repeats.

It is a disgrace.

Thats my impression too, AFAIK only the final year results contribute towards the final overall level of the degree, I was just wondering if having to rpeat a module changes that...

Guess I'll have off send off an email

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭freebee23

For AF its the final year, however if you do fail a module and successfully pass on the repeat its the first attempt mark that counts towards your overall grading.

Example:
    Stage: Final year.
    Mark attained at first attempt of a module = 30% (Fail)
    Repeat attempt will only attract maximum of 40% (Pass).
    The mark that will be used for your final degree weighting will be the 30% as this is your first attempt mark.
    Hope this helps.

freebee23 wrote: »
    For AF its the final year, however if you do fail a module and successfully pass on the repeat its the first attempt mark that counts towards your overall grading.

Example:
    Stage: Final year.
    Mark attained at first attempt of a module = 30% (Fail)
    Repeat attempt will only attract maximum of 40% (Pass).
    The mark that will be used for your final degree weighting will be the 30% as this is your first attempt mark.
    Hope this helps.

What does "AF" stand for?

Cheers for the help, take this scenario, you repeat a first year module (as in fail the repeat exam in august too) after getting 30% the first time... this won't impact on the final grading of your degree as that is simply based on your final year exam results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Cheers for the help, take this scenario, you repeat a first year module (as in fail the repeat exam in august too) after getting 30% the first time... this won't impact on the final grading of your degree as that is simply based on your final year exam results?
    As long as the final grading of your degree does not include the year you had to repeat the module in it will have no impact on your final grading however it will still show on your college record should anybody look at it.

I have never heard of any first year contributing to the final degree grading. I know of 1 course where 2nd and 3rd years contribute to the final degree grading and several where 3rd year contributes to the final degree grading.

The best place as always though is to contact your programme chair or the Education officer in the SU.

thanks, I know its just the final year counts I was just curious if the repeating a module would have an effect, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭freebee23

AF (Accounting & Finance)

For AF its only the Final year that counts. No matter what happens in the previous years. Some guys on the course had to repeat earlier years and still managed to get 1:1's and 2:1's based only on last year results.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I think my course was something like 1st year:10%, 2nd year: 20%, 3rd year: 70%.
    basically since we did such different subjects each year they didn't want people completely skiving off for the first two years, especially in courses with emphasis on continual assessments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

For CA the degree classification is based on 85% of the Year 4 mark and 15% of the Year 3 mark. This is new policy from last academic year.
    EC is 100% on year 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hmmm, anyone know the percentages for ALIS by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

Konata wrote: »

I was wondering that too. There's nothing specified in the programme regulations: https://www4.dcu.ie/sites/default/files/registry/pdfs/ALIS%20Undergraduate%20%20ProgrammeRegulations%202011_2012.pdf

I'm assuming that all years must equally contribute to the classification of the degree or, like other courses, only the final year counts. I kind of hope it's all years though.

Cardor wrote: »

I was wondering that too. There's nothing specified in the programme regulations: https://www4.dcu.ie/sites/default/files/registry/pdfs/ALIS%20Undergraduate%20%20ProgrammeRegulations%202011_2012.pdf

I'm assuming that all years must equally contribute to the classification of the degree or, like other courses, only the final year counts. I kind of hope it's all years though.

Me too! Just having final year count would be so stressful :(

Might shoot Sharon a mail about it tomorrow.

I sent her an e-mail about 2 hours ago in relation to something else, but I added another question about the degree. I'll post here what she says, whenever she replies.

I got a reply, she said it's only year 4 that counts towards the classification of the degree!

• Advertisement

Cardor wrote: »
    I got a reply, she said it's only year 4 that counts towards the classification of the degree!

Noooooooooooo ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Unlucky :(. I'm not in favour of the whole 4th year grade counts for complete overall Degree Grade. It seems to make the first 3 years of study redundant with no value towards it.

Id prefer a structure where:

1st year = +10% of overall Degree Grade
    2nd Year = +20% of overall Degree Grade
    3rd Year = +30% of overall Degree Grade
    4th Year = +40% of overall Degree Grade

I think the above would balance nicely with the experienced gained by doing your degree and the incremented percentages balances with the years. It would take alot of pressure off in the final year also. It would also stop people dossing for their first 3 years, where iv seen before in my old college class where people barely showed up until the last year.

Rambling on a bit :D

I know someone mentioned Business Studies before but couldn't see anything on the link provided about which years contribute to degree grade, does anyone know? Just for my own future reference

I think its good that it's just the final year

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Engineering is 10% second yr, 15% third yr and 75% third yr when about 1/3 of final year being the final year project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    Engineering is 10% second yr, 15% third yr and 75% third yr when about 1/3 of final year being the final year project.
    No its not.

Only the Mechanical Engineering courses are. Electronic Engineering courses have no second year component.

With Mechatronic having the same structure as the Mechanical Engineering courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Kavrocks wrote: »
    With Mechatronic having the same structure as the Mechanical Engineering courses.

Ah prob the source of my confusion. I did Medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

Does anyone know what DCU's convention is with regard to rounding up? For example, if someone achieved 59.5% overall would that be rounded up to 60% or left as is?

Advertisement