Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle carrier for sedan car

Options
  • 28-02-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I am looking for a carrier for a sedan car (Mazda 3) and my eye was on the Thule products, but can't seem to find any appropriate for a sedan car. What I like specifically in the Thule series is that it has separate mounting points for each bike.

Have you seen anything (not too expensive) in the same manner as the Thule for a sedan car?

Forgot to add that I need to able to carry 3 bikes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Noone? :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have the hatch version of this:

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=182&idproduct=6099

But mine has the separate mount points. I reckon the hatch one would work as the angle of the bikes is adjustable, worth a try, most shops seem to have demo ones that you can try on your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Does your saloon or sedan as you call it have a tow bar? I've been toying with the idea of a bike rack for a while and was looking at the 2 bike version of this Thule 9403 which Halfords seem to stock at competitive prices
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thule-3-Bike-Tow-Bar-Carrier-9403-/400091225318?pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item5d274b9ce6
    It provides wheel mounted support unlike the hang on carriers and therefore should minimise frame wear while facilitating the carriage of small or frames without a cross bar.

If without a tow bar I'd be inclined to look at a roof rack mounted system but these have the disadvantage of having to remember the increased height of the car in terms of toll booths etc plus the increased drag and cost associated from the poorer aerodynamics over long hauls.

Most of the strap on carriers I've seen have been for the hatch back variety but I do believe I've seen them for saloon/sedans also. 3 bikes hanging out of the boot lid is bound to be fairly heavy though so not sure how much I'd trust it in terms of doing damage to the car/bikes in terms of wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Ah they are called sedans back home so I forgot they are called saloons here :) I don't have a tow-bar though, and if I have something in the roof I will forget it.. end up destroying expensive bikes, pass!

This looks like something that could work: http://www.fitzcycles.ie/products.php?product=ETC-Grand-Tour-High-3%252dBike-Rear-Car-Rack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I have a rack that I don't currently use. I previously used it to carry 3 bikes on the back of an Audi saloon. Yours for €40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 mikelo303

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I have a rack that I don't currently use. I previously used it to carry 3 bikes on the back of an Audi saloon. Yours for €40

HI,

Do you still have it? Will it fit Honda civic sedan? (2004)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Why do you want a bike rack for this?

sedan-chair2.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

This is what a sedan is to me....

[Embedded Image Removed]

usually followed by the two of these....

[Embedded Image Removed]

while shooting at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

A saloon you say?

My favorite subject. That's me on the left.

saloon.jpg

Advertisement