Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's dogs constantly barking.

Options
  • 28-02-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Is there anything I can get to shut up the dogs that live beside me? They never stop barking and their owners don't seem too concerned.
    Is there some device that sends out loud signals that humans can't hear or something and it shuts up dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

No there is isn't that I know of. You should try talking to the neighbour in a friendly manner first, as they can get collars that spray water in teh dogs face when it barks, and they generally work.
    Most owners are like me and concerned for their neighbours regarding any inconvenience their dogs cause. I personally have spoken to mine repeatedly to enquire if they are behaving when I'm not there and are they too loud.
    A good neighbour and owner will want to know if there is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Problem is there's a few different houses with dogs and as soon as one starts barking they all start. It's really ****ing annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

that is a tough one - I have two dogs and they have a tendency to bark although only whenever someone comes around. I keep them indoors and I also talk to my neighbours regularly to make sure they're not annoying them. I can stop them barking when I'm there but they are very protective of the house. Do you have a good relationship with the neighbour? maybe they don't even realise? I would be a bit concerned as well as generally a dog that is well looked after, exercised and well fed would not be continously barking. If you've no joy with your neighbour I would suggest talking to the council.

Problem is there's a few different houses with dogs and as soon as one starts barking they all start. It's really ****ing annoying.

There isn't really much that can be done there. When I'm home if mine starts answering the others I call them in. If the neighbours ones start my little one answers from the top of the landing in his bed. In reality it is what dogs do, it's how they communicate.
    It doesn't sound to me like nuisance barking from one particular garden going on for hours. As long as your neighbours are looking after their dogs right, which those in my area to the best of my knowledge do, that the barking isn't incessant, then there isn't much you can do, other than ear plugs.
    In housing estates, where every second house has a dog some answering barking is par for course. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

barbiegirl wrote: »
    There isn't really much that can be done there. When I'm home if mine starts answering the others I call them in. If the neighbours ones start my little one answers from the top of the landing in his bed. In reality it is what dogs do, it's how they communicate.
    It doesn't sound to me like nuisance barking from one particular garden going on for hours. As long as your neighbours are looking after their dogs right, which those in my area to the best of my knowledge do, that the barking isn't incessant, then there isn't much you can do, other than ear plugs.
    In housing estates, where every second house has a dog some answering barking is par for course. Sorry.

Yes, I'm aware of that but I have to try and do something. Is there a device such as this available in Ireland?
    http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

interesting - I've only seen the ones that you attach to the dogs collar before. seems a shame you have to fork out for someones elses bad behaviour. i agree with barbiegirl, yes dogs do bark and if its only the odd time then no problem but if its incessantly then your neighbours are being careless and inconsiderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Yes, I'm aware of that but I have to try and do something. Is there a device such as this available in Ireland?

I was going to suggest something like that too, I know it's a pain to fork out money for something not your problem but approaching neighbours can be really difficult and often resolves nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

http://www.eurobarkcontrol.com/ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Craven99

I have said it before and I'll say it again (and echo barbiegirls advice) on questions like this. Use the best device there is - your mouth - and have a polite conversation with your neighbour.
    Its amazing what a bit of a chat can do! Looking at all sort of devices to emit sounds, spray the animals etc etc should always be a last resort. Its not the animals fault but the owners and it needs to be addressed with them.
    Hopefuly they will appreciate your concerns and rectify the situation. If not then look at other routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Craven99

I was going to suggest something like that too, I know it's a pain to fork out money for something not your problem but approaching neighbours can be really difficult and often resolves nothing

Rubbish - its that way of thinking that makes the problems worse. Yes I'd agree the some people are ignorant and could not care less but lets not think that everyone is the same.
    Why the hell should anyone pay out good money to control someone elses problem.
    Always talk first if you can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Having spent a whole summer being tortured by some piece of shít, supposedly ultra-sonic, anti-whatever device sounding off 24/7 from one of the neighbours gardens, I beg you to consider people with more sensitive hearing.
    Just because you can't hear it, doesn't mean nobody else can, relevant reading.
    I actually feel sorry for anyone's pets who're subjected to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I know nothing about dogs.

But for me a dog that barks constantly has some issue. Maybe its just learned behavior that's harmless and maybe its not. Even if its just noise pollution is a big issue IMO, and Anti social especially if the owners just ignore it.

Our neighbour has a dog that goes nuts when anyone is in adjoining garden. Considering it adjoins about 6 gardens, its driven demented when its let out, and I assume that's why its kept inside most of the time.The owners are ok, but they tried to talk it down as not a problem. I find it extremely antisocial tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Lob a grenade into the dog house,usually sorts out the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Star_Cow

God I have a dog living next door to me & it barks like mad to it also gets into our garden to crap all over the place I never seen the owner feeding,playing or even going outside with it for the last 3 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 williejoe11

I've problems with 2 noisy dogs next door.Don't know where you live but in my case terraced housing is no place for dogs.You can't be a dog lover if you lock your barking dogs in the kitchen all day and sometimes leave them alone overnight.Reported them but was told court was my only option.Very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

I've problems with 2 noisy dogs next door.Don't know where you live but in my case terraced housing is no place for dogs.You can't be a dog lover if you lock your barking dogs in the kitchen all day and sometimes leave them alone overnight.Reported them but was told court was my only option.Very frustrating

here here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Reported them but was told court was my only option.

Plus before a case can even go to court the owners must be advised of your intent and given adequate time to rectify the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Craven99 wrote: »
    Rubbish - its that way of thinking that makes the problems worse. Yes I'd agree the some people are ignorant and could not care less but lets not think that everyone is the same.
    Why the hell should anyone pay out good money to control someone elses problem.
    Always talk first if you can

Well in the 2 different situations I tried to talk to neighbours I got absolutely no satisfaction, and one of those situations was when I was at home minding my mother who had terminal cancer and the barking was making her last few weeks a nightmare. Explained this to the neighbour in question, and was sent off with a flea in my ear. So I'd never bother talking again about barking dogs, I'd just buy an ultrasonic devise and be done with it. I've yet to speak to anyone who was able to resolve a neighbours barking dog situation by talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I have 2 dogs here - inside 90% of the time and only out when I'm in the house. Neither are very vocal and I would always check it out if they bark because it's just something they don't do.

If someone got one of those ultrasonic devices due to my neighbours dog - it would effect my boys just the same for doing nothing. Hardly fair. But in saying that I wouldn't know what to suggest besides speaking to the neighbours.

OP can you clarify is this an issue with constant incessent nuisance barking or the neighbouring dogs occassionaly barking at each other?
    Your posts indicate the latter so I wouldn't be in agreement on using something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Tell you neighbours, if they don't act go and see someone in your local Citizens Advice Centre, but often people aren't aware that their dog is causing problems. They just don't mind the sound of their own dogs voice

Usually a solictors letter does the trick if things are really getting out of hand, but try talking to the neighbours first, if you don't feel you can talk to them, you could give them a letter detailing the problems you are encountering.

The issue isn't one dog or one set of neighbours but if above is read it's that he doesn'tike when all the neighbourhood dogs answer each other. I am surrounded by dog owning houses and work from home a lot. The average for one of these types of barkathons i about three times a day lasting a minute or two.
    Dogs barking like this is normal. Dogs barking non stop is different to dogs occassionaly barking at one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bykobap

My neighbour has 4 of the bastards, they never leave her back garden which is 10x10 yards, they never ever go for a walk.
    They rarely if ever fight between each other.
    Whenever dogs hear anything resembling cracking noise, see a cat which she has 3 of, kids playful screams, neighbours activity in the kitchen they'll bark.
    They bark 24/7, they are barking now, they wake me up in the morning, they deprive me of sleep by waking me up at anytime during the night at completly random times.
    This is going on for 4 years now, i have talked to her at least 5 times and others had a word as well but after 3-4 days of decent calm it steadily starts again.
    I can't help but hate the bastards although i know they are not to blame. This is happening on daily basis and i can't take it anymore. HELP MEEEEEE !!!

Bykobap that is a problem. I don't know but if the neighbour can't or won't help then some of the advice above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

complain to ur local dog warden and he will sort by removing them or give ur neighbour a warning..works if few ppl involved.worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

barbiegirl wrote: »
    No there is isn't that I know of. You should try talking to the neighbour in a friendly manner first, as they can get collars that spray water in teh dogs face when it barks, and they generally work.
    Most owners are like me and concerned for their neighbours regarding any inconvenience their dogs cause. I personally have spoken to mine repeatedly to enquire if they are behaving when I'm not there and are they too loud.
    A good neighbour and owner will want to know if there is a problem.

do you use this?

Star_Cow wrote: »
    God I have a dog living next door to me & it barks like mad to it also gets into our garden to crap all over the place I never seen the owner feeding,playing or even going outside with it for the last 3 months

report your neighbour. :mad:

Bykobap wrote: »
    My neighbour has 4 of the bastards, they never leave her back garden which is 10x10 yards, they never ever go for a walk.
    They rarely if ever fight between each other.
    Whenever dogs hear anything resembling cracking noise, see a cat which she has 3 of, kids playful screams, neighbours activity in the kitchen they'll bark.
    They bark 24/7, they are barking now, they wake me up in the morning, they deprive me of sleep by waking me up at anytime during the night at completly random times.
    This is going on for 4 years now, i have talked to her at least 5 times and others had a word as well but after 3-4 days of decent calm it steadily starts again.
    I can't help but hate the bastards although i know they are not to blame. This is happening on daily basis and i can't take it anymore. HELP MEEEEEE !!!

4 dogs..and 3 cats:confused:

if the dogs are being mistreated,report your neighbour.

record/video the barking, use it as evidence-build a case,document your chats you have/had...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Please don't use the ultrasonic thing. Not only will it annoy dogs that aren't doing anything wrong, but if it operates on similar frequency to those rat deterrents, any rodent pets (e.g. guinea pigs) in the area will be tormented for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Vojera wrote: »
    Please don't use the ultrasonic thing. Not only will it annoy dogs that aren't doing anything wrong, but if it operates on similar frequency to those rat deterrents, any rodent pets (e.g. guinea pigs) in the area will be tormented for no reason.

It's actually a useless device unless you have line of sight to the dog - and he's 20 feet away. I have been through this process, including court.

1. Dealt with a neighbour with small man syndrome. Ended up falling out and
    it became very nasty, with all sorts of intimidation, even after winning the
    court order (which isn't worth the paper it was written on).

2. Guards don't want to know.

3. The Dog Warden, who originally advised Court, subsequently asked why we went that far (eh, because YOU advised it was the best option).

Some dog owners (and I am one myself) are sensible, both loving their dogs and being aware of their neighbours. It's hard to credit that the lady was dying, and that fool took it personally. In this day and age many people work shift, so that whole load of bollix about just keeping dogs in at night doesn't measure up anymore. You have to keep them under control. Housing estates are for people - not animals. And these people are entitled to a degree of quiet (you will always have noise to some degree).

We ended up moving house, as my elderly mother-in-law (who stayed with us a lot) was becoming the target of intimidation. So what price your sanity?
    We were lucky. Sold before bust came and reduced our mortgage amount and term.

But that's not an option anymore. Tread warily before contacting neighbours or considering court. It isn't necessarily the answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement