Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would love a dog, but am unsure if its the suitable house for one.

Options
  • 28-02-2011 5:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi all!
    basically, I had a Doberman back about 9 years ago now (i was only around 9 or 10 then). He was an extremely wonderful dog and I was devastated when my dad sent him to a farm. It was an actual farm by the way! I asked him not too long ago actually and he did give the dog to a farmer in tipp.
    The reason it didnt work it is because the dog was a bit wild, very energetic and full of life. most people in the house would be out at work or school til around 6 or 7 in the evening. the poor thing was waiting at the back door for us most evenings.
    Now its been 9 years or so, and I still wish i had a dog in the house, I cannot get enough of them.
    the situation is still kind of the same with my parents getting in around 6 from work and it varies with me for college.
    Sorry for the long post but my main questions are this:
    1. Is it right to adopt/purchase a dog when we won't be in the house for a long period of the dog?
    2. are there any dogs that are more "self-sustainable" for better use of a word. as in that can manage themselves and occupy themselves for the time the owner is out of the house?
    And if so, how should I go about convincing my parents? my mother loves dogs also. we past a pet store in paris and she stayed for a good half hour petting this beautiful little beagle :)
    Sorry for the length but any reply/advice will be greatly appreciated.
    thanks!
    Darryl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Have to get it in first PLEASE dont get a dog from a shop!!!
    Think ye would be better off getting 2 small adult dogs who can keep each other company while ye are out but they need to be walked in the morning before work/college and again in the evening are you prepared for this?
    What about in 3-4 years time when you decide to go off to London/Sydney?
    Whos dogs would they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, I got my (own personal) first dog when I was about 4 years old, I didn't get my second until I hit my 30's because in between I moved house about 6 times for work and college, there have been times when I would leave the house at 7am and not come back till 11pm. My advice would be to wait untill your life has completely settled down college, employment and social-life wise before you would even consider it at all. No dog is 'self-sufficient' they will either have a tendancy towards being companion dogs that need company - sometimes 24 hours a day or the more independant types (which sill need company most of the day) and these tend to need a lot of exercise. Many fall into both categories though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have recently seen ads for pairs of older dogs(6+) up for rehoming due to ill health or death of owners, a pair of older dogs would be well settled, and often are bottom of the list for people adopting dogs.
    If your parents are happy to care for the dogs when you aren't there or if you leave home, a pair of older dogs may be a good solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I didn't get my second until I hit my 30's
    :eek: had you pegged as 25 at the oldest.

Where did the last 5 years go? :pac:

OP I'd agree with waiting a few years. A friend is moving to Aus soon and it' costing him 4k to bring his dog! Much as I love my boys, the restrict you a lot so better be settled and know just how much restriction you can happily take before getting the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Whispered wrote: »
    :eek: had you pegged as 25 at the oldest.

No, just extremely immature :rolleyes:
    Whispered wrote: »
    Where did the last 5 years go? :pac:

I want to know where the last 15 went! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it!
    I think you guys are right, I should wait til I either graduate and get a job, or get 2 adult dogs for companionship.
    I love dogs and I wouldn't adopt one if I didnt know I could treat it properly. Ill have a good long think over, weigh up the pros and cons and decide from there.
    as i said, id love a dog around the house, but not if its unhappy.
    If i did get 2, would beagles get along with one another? i love those little guys!
    anyways, thanks again people!
    d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KPNUTSY

Why dont you try fostering a dog?It would be short term, and you could see what kind of impact owning a dog would have on your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Beagles are high energy dogs and would not appreciate being left out the back on their own for most of the day.

I think it's very sensible of you to wait until you can give a dog what it really needs.

Advertisement