Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra's?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

i reckon the silver one is the pick of the bunch, and i wouldn't touch the red one with a barge pole.

astra's are very middle of the road, cant be bothered, 'meh' mobiles though. have you considered any other makes/ models?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

andyseadog wrote: »
    i reckon the silver one is the pick of the bunch, and i wouldn't touch the red one with a barge pole.

astra's are very middle of the road, cant be bothered, 'meh' mobiles though. have you considered any other makes/ models?

Silver one is €3200! Not a hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

They are an awkward car for the most people to buy second hand IMO as there are really good well looked after cars out there but there are plenty of ones that have been poorly serviced/looked after and unless you know what you are looking at you won't be able to tell the difference, and of you get one that hasn't been looked after, especially with higher miles, you could well be into a money pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Mother has one. Owned from new. 2000 model.

1 diff.
    1 clutch.
    1 gearbox
    1 ignition barrel.
    2 starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I'd take the second last one you listed.

But to be honest I'd prefer have a Corolla

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

its late :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

As I said, the second LAST one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

what about this one...i SWEAR its not mine cough cough :rolleyes: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1925034

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

what about this one...i SWEAR its not mine cough cough :rolleyes: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1925034
    My brother was looking at this one!! They're a good Car, the head gasket problem as OP mentioned though drags them down. They supposedly fixed the problem in the 2002 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

My brother was looking at this one!! They're a good Car, the head gasket problem as OP mentioned though drags them down. They supposedly fixed the problem in the 2002 model.

well i havent had any problems with mine anyway outside of the remote part of the key feckin breaking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

had one for a few years , 2002 hatchback , sold it last year and have to say never gave me an ounce of trouble , would recommend them highly. from what i have heard its important to have it serviced annually, i had the water pump changed and the timing belt which is necessary after 50000 miles even used it for a taxi for a while .sold it last year for €2600

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seamushaha

I'm considering buying an opel astra 03' that has been advertised on the web @ €3,400. Now this car is advertised with 69,000 miles. What are the chances the head gasket will need to be replaced in the car and roughly how much would it cost to do? This is my first car, do these cars have a history of bad engines or whats the story? Are there any mechanics out there who would be able to advise on the general reputation of Opel Astras (2003 model)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

seamushaha wrote: »
    I'm considering buying an opel astra 03' that has been advertised on the web @ €3,400. Now this car is advertised with 69,000 miles. What are the chances the head gasket will need to be replaced in the car and roughly how much would it cost to do? This is my first car, do these cars have a history of bad engines or whats the story? Are there any mechanics out there who would be able to advise on the general reputation of Opel Astras (2003 model)

Thanks!

Have a 2002 3 door Astra for four years (1.4 petrol). Bought it at 54k miles and it's now at 88k miles.

Absolutely amazing reliability. Beyond servicing and doing the timing belt/water pump at the appropriate time, it's been perfect.

And that's got me seriously f**ked up looking for a bigger replacement cos I see friends with other cars (Golfs, Passats, Beemers) all having to replace bits and pieces every year and I'm loathe to give up something that's so bloody reliable, that costs me so little, with times so uncertain and tight!

Heart wants something bigger (maybe a bit flashier), head looks at seriously attractive low cost/perfectly functional motoring.

ps. Astra perfect for low cost urban/short distance driving with the odd motorway trip. But if you're gonna be doing allot of motorway miles then maybe something a bit beefier is required.

Advertisement