Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

onkyo 606 , ps3 issue

Options
  • 27-02-2011 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I have a ps3 and a onkyo 606, original there was no problem but recently, it takes from a few minutes to half an hour for the onkyo to 'see' the ps3.

I have tried to research as much as possable via google but so far no solution has been found but id does seem to be a common problem.

I have tried the ps3 directly to the tv, no problem
    I have tried other hdmi inputs in the place where the ps3 woud connect, again no problem.
    I have changed HDMI cable. No solution.

It seems to be a problem with the two 'handshaking'

so. is there anywhere in dublin i can send my onkyo to be repaired. or does anyone have any advice for me.

as always , thanks in advance for any help

peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Did you update anything on the onkyo since it was working? I don't think any of the recent ps3 updates have impacted hdmi output, at least mine hasn't caused problems. I run hdmi 1.1, and I had to update the firmware on my avp a couple of years ago to fix a handshake issue, but nothing of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

if you think your amp need repair hi-fi hospital in blanchardstown are good

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RobY

Hi,

I had this exact same issue. It will get worse over time i.e. your onscreen Onkyo menu will stop showing and eventually your PS3 will not connect to it at all. Other HDMI inputs will start to degrade too.

This is a known issue with the HDMI daughterboard in the Onkyo 606. See for details.

I bought my Onkyo through Richer Sounds in Belfast and, as it was within 2 years of the purchase, it was still covered under guarantee by Onkyo. The only problem is that Onkyo's service company, Genserve, do not deal with the Republic of Ireland. So, I had to drop the amp back to Richer Sounds in Belfast and they arranged for Genserve to pick it up, repair it and drop it back to Richer Sounds. Richer Sounds then shipped it back to me (in Dublin).

In summary, you definitely need to get this fixed. If you bought it new less than 2 years ago, it is covered by guarantee. In any case, Genserve are the best people to repair it but you will need to get it to the UK. Hope this helps.
    peterm_sc wrote: »
    I have a ps3 and a onkyo 606, original there was no problem but recently, it takes from a few minutes to half an hour for the onkyo to 'see' the ps3.

I have tried to research as much as possable via google but so far no solution has been found but id does seem to be a common problem.

I have tried the ps3 directly to the tv, no problem
    I have tried other hdmi inputs in the place where the ps3 woud connect, again no problem.
    I have changed HDMI cable. No solution.

It seems to be a problem with the two 'handshaking'

so. is there anywhere in dublin i can send my onkyo to be repaired. or does anyone have any advice for me.

as always , thanks in advance for any help

peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 peterm_sc

thank you for the reply, i actually forgot i had posted on here, but anyway thanks for the reply. its out of warranty, so im not sure what ill do. ive stopped call of duty so much , so i guess now it doesnt matter as much!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

peterm_sc wrote: »
    thank you for the reply, i actually forgot i had posted on here, but anyway thanks for the reply. its out of warranty, so im not sure what ill do. ive stopped call of duty so much , so i guess now it doesnt matter as much!

Guys,

(Declared interest here - I sell Onkyo)

How old is your TXSR606 - as far as I can see they were introduced in about May 2008 so even the earliest ones should be under warranty until May 2010 so unless you bought a very early one (ie between May 2008/March 2009) your 606 should be still under warranty - some stores don't recognise the 2 year warranty on Onkyo but Onkyo UK do offer that 24 month warranty on all 3/5/6 series receivers (on all receivers from 7 series up it's a 3 year warranty)

If you can dig out your DOP we will see what we can do for you :D

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

Sadly a common complaint with the 606, 2 year UK warranty is fantastic if you can avail of it, incredible that so many manufacturers have 'centralised' their repair centres to the UK

CHS interactive are the recognised parts suppliers and have the board cost as £444 so obviously replacing the troublesome caps is worthwhile. Be aware that no repair centre will look at a unit that the above youtube video has been attempted on

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

€45 for assesment report which comes off the final bill, hardly steep to pay for a diagnosis by a technician.

Upgraded caps a guarantee given for the same for €200 rather than the replacement board from the recommended supplier; http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/electrical-components/misc/txsr606-pcb-hdmi-onkyo.htm

Parts quote was €63, baring in mind this is not the manufacturers recommended method of repair and there may be related faults on the board which would be covered

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭PC

Guys,

(Declared interest here - I sell Onkyo)

How old is your TXSR606 - as far as I can see they were introduced in about May 2008 so even the earliest ones should be under warranty until May 2010 so unless you bought a very early one (ie between May 2008/March 2009) your 606 should be still under warranty - some stores don't recognise the 2 year warranty on Onkyo but Onkyo UK do offer that 24 month warranty on all 3/5/6 series receivers (on all receivers from 7 series up it's a 3 year warranty)

If you can dig out your DOP we will see what we can do for you :D

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John,

I'm having problems with the above receiver that I purchased from you over two years ago and I guess I'll have to send it to the UK to have it looked at.
    Can you go through the procedure for me to do that.

Cheers
    pc

Advertisement