Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The pros and cons of buying and modding a radio control boat meant for kids

• 27-02-2011 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

So, I bought this small radio control boat from Smyths for 17.99 euro. The 2 propellors were encased in a plastic casing. The boat took 3 x 1.5 AA batteries as opened from the box. The antenna on the radio control unit was quite miserly in length. Name of the toy is Sea Lord.

I cut away the cage around the propellors. Then I removed the miserable antenna from the radio control unit and put in 1 which was about 2 and a half times as long. I then returned to the boat, and with the help of some velcro and bellwire, fit and successfully tested a 6v camera battery.

I took the configuration out to Sean Walsh Park Tallaght. Fitted a mini camcorder the head cam type to top of the boat.
    I thought the boat would just about have enough volume to float with the camera, this was not the case. the boat capsized, but did not sink.
    Camera seems broken after that event.
    HOWEVER, I got the boat running in the pond and ran it out to a distance of about 20 metres without any problem.
    Moral of Story:
    Yes a cheap radio control model to run, but no good for taking the tidliest of minicams or other any extra weight - I think the 6v camera battery above roughly equates to the 3 AA batteries it replaced..

Dang.:(

Advertisement