Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about speed checks

Options
  • 27-02-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Just a few questions about how the speed checks work.

Would love info from a document, or serving AGS member if possible.

1. If a Guard is standing at the side of the road doing a speed check, they must pull you in and show you the gun as proof you were speeding. There are no hand held guns that can take a picture and be sent to you. True or false?

2. the only way you can be caught speeding without being pulled in is either from a stationary van or fixed camera in the ground that takes a photo of your car and forwards it to you. True or False?

3. There are a few new Garda vehicles that can catch you speeding while driving in close proximity to you. True or False?

4. If 3 above is true, do they have to pull you in or can the just forward you an image?

5. Does rain actually affect the hand held ray guns?

Thanks folks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

6. If you do not speed you dont have to worry about the other 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Zambia wrote: »
    6. If you do not speed you dont have to worry about the other 5.

I asked reasonable questions and looked for responses that is in no way helpful and completely unnecessary. It happens, people have discussions on if they may have been caught etc. They are reasonable questions. Again, your response is in no way helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

i don't think your going to get help in evading speeding capture on this forum, so i'd suggest you save it for your bar stool chat and keep under the limit and take it that every set of head lights in your rear view has the potential to do you for speeding.
    safe driving my friend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

The attitude on this forum is seriously annoying me. It's an absolute joke. Nobody can ask for clarification on the equipment used in relation to law enforcement without being ridiculed and accused of trying evade the law. Everybody looking for information isn't trying to evade the law. It's a complete and utter joke.

The reason I'm asking actually does stem from bar stool chat with friends insisting that a guard can catch someone speeding with a ray gun and take your reg and send you a fine and points in the post.

I am a citizen of this country and entitled to know how the law is enforced and what equipment my tax is being used for etc etc.

And for the record, I'm not trying to evade the law and the speed checks. I'm 20, had my full license almost 3 years and have never been so much a's stopped for having a tail light out. So quit the accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

OP while a agree to an extent, If you look at if form a Garda's point of view. Its not worth them getting into trouble of "sensitive" information being "leaked" on the internet. It only takes the view of some out of touch manager to make it a pain in the A for everyone involved.

I'm sure the info you want, if available, can be sourced through an official channel. The Gardai here are not working and I would think have little obligation to answer a question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

alexlyons wrote: »
    I am a citizen of this country and entitled to know how the law is enforced and what equipment my tax is being used for etc etc.

1 true
    2 true
    3 havent a clue
    4 havent a clue
    5 havent a clue

This is an internet forum mate, noone is obliged to tell you jack. if you want to know how your taxes are spent talk to your local TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

Theres no reason for you to need to know any of that above really entruly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SimpleOrder

numbers 1 and 2 is true.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

AlexLyons this thread has been covered a million times on the motors forum.

Do a search and you will see all the threads that cover it.

Im nipping this in the bud before it descends any further.

Chief---

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

numbers 1 and 2 is true.

WRONG!

Just to add (hope chief doesnt mind) if a Garda is operating a speed check and clocks a car on a motorway and is unable to step out to stop the vehicle due to volume of traffic, they can note its registration and issue a notice to them same as usual. It is issued to the owner and they can nominate the driver at that time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement