Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions :)

Options
  • 27-02-2011 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

plannin on goin here in september :) hopfully anyway, theres a few questions that need answering haha
    anyway
    im going to be studying Computers, the 4 year course i think its called honours bachelors degree , but if i dont make the points for that or dont get in , can i instead do the 3 year course which is just Bachelor degree and when my 3 years are up , will i be asked or can i go for the 4th yr course( or if im doing really well for the 3 years will i be offered for the 4th yr?)

now for some average questions :P
    hows the college? i went to the open day , it was pretty packed(i couldnt move without standing on someone) haha , i mean in terms of social life?night life? is there scumbags there (not saying tala is full of scum bags but lets me serious the area does have its ups and downs) i dont mind a few of them but like if theres loads thats just a put of for that college ha

for people doing the computer course now, any link to your timetable would be nice? thx :) just trying to get an idea of the times,i know they change every year

also if somebody can plz tell me whats the difference between , computing and computing it management ,its starting to annoy me abit to pick ha

for people that have done any of the two computer courses above whats the work load like?regarding as heavy studie, is there alot of reading involved or is it mainly done on computers and what do you learn ( java,c++,c,http etc...)

thx guys/galz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

In 2nd year of Computing myself. In order to go into the 4th Year if you're only doing the 3 year course your grades and attendence need to be up to scratch afaik.

College is decent, well served by public transport and all that jazz. College nights can vary, but are usually good craic and usually reasonably priced. During the likes of rag week and freshers week there's decent nights out and some good stuff on in the college (Hardy Bucks done MCing for a Blind Date there a couple of weeks back during rag week, gas stuff).

Posted up timetables on here before, I'll grab a link for you.

The difference between IT Mgt and Computing is that IT Mgt go on a work placement for a few months (can be paid or unpaid, depends on the company) and Computing you do Programming/a project. Few of the subjects vary, think IT Mgt have two different subjects to Computing. If I was to start all over I'd have done IT Mgt. The decision on whether you do IT Mgt or Computing isn't made till 2nd year, 1st year is the same course for everyone.

Work load can vary too, last semester it was very heavy with a good load of contineous assessments and crap, this semester is a bit lighter. Iirc 1st year has a lot of contineous assessments, but these count towards your final grade on the subject which is good.

A lot of the course if based on computers, the likes of web development, programming, database, etc... but there's still a good bit of theory to all the subjects.

Anymore questions just ask, if you wanna have a look of notes from the first two years of the course, if you wanna know what programs we use for stuff, etc...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65904782&postcount=6

Timetables I posted up are there, with a bit more info too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭unknowntoown

thanks for the fast reply bud wasnt expecting anything til tomorrow at the least haha

group 1 and group2 ? i take it the classes get split into groups

whats with tutorials? are they like extra classes would it be advisable to attend them

also just wondering theres a gym right? is it a nice modern gym good size and weights,machines?

what would of made you pick ITMC instead of Computers if you could redo? is computers boring or alot more work or just not ur interest, sorry for all the questions just these things i need to know cause im lazy in school and the only thing im good with is computers haha

cheers mate, this all really helpfull

edit: sorry 1 more question haha i keep finding information ha from one of your previous posts actually , about the labs , whats that? what do you do in the lab? is it like a normal class or do you have some mini project to finish haha

thx in advance

Ye in 1st Year you're split into two groups as the rooms wouldn't be big enough for everyone in them, basically done on alphabetical order.

Tutorials are like pratical classes, can be anything from answering questions to doing some web design. Usually you upload them to the lecturer and they sometimes are worth a percentage to your overall subject mark at the end of the semester.

No gym in the college, if you'll be coming in on the luas there's a good gym just at the Fatima luas stop called Herbeton, €100 for 3 months. Swimming pool, decent enough weights, threadmills and all that crap too. It's the gym I use anyway.

Why would I do IT Mgt instead of Computing, good question. Not a huge fan of programming is the main reason. The way I understood the work experience to be was in a place that the college picked and you'd be doing 9-5 everyday (which would have meant I'd have to quit my part time job or just be wrecked every week). Turns out it could be any field of IT, example one of the lads in my course had an interview for Paddy Power to work in their IT department. You have a year to decide anyway whether you like programming or not.

Labs are like the tutorials, usually just doing some programming, web design, or stuff along them lines. Again a few subjects you upload your finished lab work and there could be a percentage of your overall subject mark for it.

Advertisement