Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to buy a .ie domain name?

Options
  • 27-02-2011 5:22pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of starting a new site and want a .ie domain name. I believe you can't just get one like a .com - you have to have a registered company in order to qualify. Can anyone tell me the process for what I have to do to get my .ie domain name? I assume I somehow apply for my company name and after I have done this I can get my .ie domain. Can it all be done online?

Also a friend wants a website for his business. If he already has a company, how does he do it? His website url is not the same as the company name, but they are directly connected. What happens in this case?

Hope you guys can clear this up for me
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm thinking of starting a new site and want a .ie domain name. I believe you can't just get one like a .com - you have to have a registered company in order to qualify. Can anyone tell me the process for what I have to do to get my .ie domain name? I assume I somehow apply for my company name and after I have done this I can get my .ie domain. Can it all be done online?

Options are here : http://www.iedr.ie/index.php/mnudomregs/mnuquickguide

The procedures are - IMHO - a good idea, because otherwise the TLD integrity gets ruined, as happens with domains like .fm, which are snapped up by lots of radio stations that aren't even based in The Federated States of Micronesia.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It's not the only way to do it, but I've found it the easiest every time:

Register a business name on core.ie and then just provide the RBN number to the IEDR when it's approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

You don't need a registered company, just a business name, which cost about €20 if you do it online.

If your friend's required domain name is clearly related to his business, then a supporting letter will probably do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 leateds

To register a .ie for a business you just need to provide the business's CRO number.

Thats how i registered a .ie for a client of mine.

Advertisement