Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving license

Options
  • 27-02-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

I dont know if this is the right forum but I need some advice, I have had my learners permit for the past 2 years but have never got around to using it, not the last 3 weeks I have been taking a driving class and Im out on the road and doing a bit of driving with my da as well. Im going away on a J1 summer and would like to obtain my full license before I go, now I know I left it a bit late but my question is this how much time on the road do you need to be good enough to pass the driving exam, and if I fail it does anyone here know if it is possible to complete it in the US or obtain a license over there.

Any help would be great and again sorry if this is the wrong forum :cool:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

sorry lads just realized this is the wrong forum if ya want to move it no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

lcrcboy wrote: »
    I dont know if this is the right forum but I need some advice, I have had my learners permit for the past 2 years but have never got around to using it, not the last 3 weeks I have been taking a driving class and Im out on the road and doing a bit of driving with my da as well. Im going away on a J1 summer and would like to obtain my full license before I go, now I know I left it a bit late but my question is this how much time on the road do you need to be good enough to pass the driving exam, and if I fail it does anyone here know if it is possible to complete it in the US or obtain a license over there.

Any help would be great and again sorry if this is the wrong forum :cool:

Depending on the State you are visiting you will need different regulations for each. Generally this encompasses a written test, road test and vision test. You have to have a Social Security Card, which you won't have. Let's just say you got around all that then you have to be accompanied by a driver over the age of 21 at all times. You can't use the road between 12:00 and 6:00 AM. Besides that the whole process could take a couple a months to complete. A Learner Permit is not valid outside Ireland either.

Also I though Learner Permits only last 2 years here? I did my driving test in the US not here. But I can imagine you will need at least a few months driving experience to be able to pass. You will need to get your full Driving Licence here if you wish to drive in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

cant answer how long you need to be on the road before your competent. some people naturally take to it others still cant reverse after 40 years.
    its a judgement call you have to make yourself really, if your doing the obvious alright like changing gear smoothly, not stalling all the time, accelerating and braking at constant rates your off to a good start, you just need to be sure your doing the less obvious stuff right like mirrors & indicating. you will always have a good idea yourself though if your fit for it in reality.
    cant help with the US system, you can get a licence in most states when your 15 i think, so im sure there would be some way to sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

overshoot wrote: »
    cant answer how long you need to be on the road before your competent. some people naturally take to it others still cant reverse after 40 years.
    its a judgement call you have to make yourself really, if your doing the obvious alright like changing gear smoothly, not stalling all the time, accelerating and braking at constant rates your off to a good start, you just need to be sure your doing the less obvious stuff right like mirrors & indicating. you will always have a good idea yourself though if your fit for it in reality.
    cant help with the US system, you can get a licence in most states when your 15 i think, so im sure there would be some way to sort it out

cheers man ya Im fine with changing gears going up and down threw them and I dont stall Ive pretty much got rid of that, Im ok on roundabouts still trying to get the hang of them Ive attempted some of the big ones in Limerick and got through them grand, I rekon Im picking it up ok and driving fairly smoothly I guess Im just going to have to apply for the test and see how I progress before the exam :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If you are on a J1 you will get a social security card

• Advertisement
Advertisement